How the English say what they mean

We've created this area in the hope of seeing material ranging from some well-told (or well retold) jokes to original writing with a humorous slant, or anything else that might appeal to the kind of person who enjoys playing with words more than people. That probably means someone like yourself. N.B. -- Postings preceded by ** contain some sexual or risqué content. (Makes them easier to find.)

How the English say what they mean

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:12 pm

They do it like this.
Post actions:

Re: How the English say what they mean

Post by Bobinwales » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:17 pm

I have always liked, "I hear what you say". Which means, "You are an unmitigated twerp, but I am not going to argue the point with you".
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Wizard of Oz » Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:15 am

And of course we Aussies have, "See you later", which means that at some undefined time in the future we will see each other again.

WoZ saying it how it is
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by tony h » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:11 am

Wizard of Oz wrote:And of course we Aussies have, "See you later", which means that at some undefined time in the future we will see each other again.

WoZ saying it how it is
Much the same as "au revoir" - I used to use this until one day a girl replied "when?" this was an unnerving response.
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:27 pm

tony h wrote:
Wizard of Oz wrote:And of course we Aussies have, "See you later", which means that at some undefined time in the future we will see each other again.

WoZ saying it how it is
Much the same as "au revoir" - I used to use this until one day a girl replied "when?" this was an unnerving response.
You run the same risk if you say something like "You must come over for tea sometime".
Post actions:

Post by BonnieL » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:37 am

WoZ saying it how it is
Like the American, "Let's get together sometime." It usually means never.
Post actions:

Post by Erik_Kowal » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:00 am

BonnieL wrote:Like the American, "Let's get together sometime." It usually means never.
"Can I get back to you on that?" / "I'll check my diary when I get home" / [my favourite] "I've got a thing coming up, but I'm not quite sure when it is".
Post actions:

End of topic.