Something for the weekend

We've created this area in the hope of seeing material ranging from some well-told (or well retold) jokes to original writing with a humorous slant, or anything else that might appeal to the kind of person who enjoys playing with words more than people. That probably means someone like yourself. N.B. -- Postings preceded by ** contain some sexual or risqué content. (Makes them easier to find.)

Something for the weekend

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:16 am

A young guy moved down from North Dakota to Florida and went looking for a job at a big "everything under one roof" department store.

The hiring manager asked him, "Do you have any sales experience?"

The kid said, "Yeah. Back in North Dakota I used to sell vacuum cleaners."

When he heard this the manager was rather doubtful, but the kid kinda reminded him a bit of his own boy, and so he figured he'd give him a shot anyways.

"OK, son, I've decided to try you out. You can start tomorrow. I'll come see you after we close, and we'll measure how you did."

Accordingly, after the store had shut the next day, the manager came down to the sales floor to check how the new fella had done.

"Well, son, tell me — how many customers bought something from you today?"

The kid shrugged. "One," he mumbled.

"Just one!?" scoffed the manager. "I gotta tell you: on average, our employees sell to between 20 or 30 customers a day. You're gonna have to do a lot better than just one if you plan to keep working in this here Florida store! One a day might have been good enough in North Dakota, but, you know — you ain't on the farm anymore, my boy!"

The kid took his beating in silence and continued to look at his shoes. The manager felt kind of bad for chewing him out on his first day, so with a hint of kindly sarcasm still in his tone, he asked: "Well, tell me, how much was your one sale for?"

The kid looked up. "$101,237.65".

In astonishment, the manager exclaimed, "$101,237.65!? What the heck did you sell?"

"Well, first I sold the guy some fish hooks. Then I sold him a new fishing rod to go with his hooks. Then I asked him where he was gonna be fishin', and he said down along the coast, so I told him he was most likely gonna need a boat. That's when we went down to the boat department, and I sold him a twin-engine Chris Craft. Then he said he didn't think his Honda Civic would pull it, so I took him along to the automotive department and sold him that red 4x4 Expedition."

"So," the manager remarked, "a guy came in here to buy fish hooks, and you sold him a BOAT and a TRUCK!?"

The kid said, "No, no. Actually he came in the store to buy his wife some tampons. I told him, "Dude, looks like your weekend's shot. You oughta go fishing."
Post actions:

End of topic.