Rugby Football

We've created this area in the hope of seeing material ranging from some well-told (or well retold) jokes to original writing with a humorous slant, or anything else that might appeal to the kind of person who enjoys playing with words more than people. That probably means someone like yourself. N.B. -- Postings preceded by ** contain some sexual or risqué content. (Makes them easier to find.)

Rugby Football

Post by Bobinwales » Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:48 pm

In a conversation today, the day of the final of the Rugby World Cup, I was asked if I knew the reason that a rugby ball is shaped as it is. Luckily, I do know and the person I told suggested that I write it here so that this little piece of history can be shared.
When at that wonderful moment in Rugby School, William Webb Ellis picked up the ball and ran with it, 'Showing a fine disregard for the rules of football as played in his time' he arrived at the end of the pitch showed the referee the ball and asked, "What shall I do with it now?". And because of what the referee suggested, it was decided that a rugby ball should be the shape it is.
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Re: Rugby Football

Post by BonnieL » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:19 pm

Is that a British joke?
Post actions:

Post by Bobinwales » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:45 pm

Indeed it is, but I am sure that with a bit of thought it could be adapted to gridiron.
@ . @
. 0 .
\___/
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:48 pm

The punchline is elliptical, similar to the rugby ball.
Post actions:

End of topic.