A recent survey...

We've created this area in the hope of seeing material ranging from some well-told (or well retold) jokes to original writing with a humorous slant, or anything else that might appeal to the kind of person who enjoys playing with words more than people. That probably means someone like yourself. N.B. -- Postings preceded by ** contain some sexual or risqué content. (Makes them easier to find.)

A recent survey...

Post by Bobinwales » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:38 pm

The following question was asked in a recent poll:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'Are there too many immigrants in Britain?'

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx17% Said: Yes
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx62% Said: No
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx23% Said: عهد الأمن العالمي بواشنط

Is this racist? Opinions please. If the consensus is that it is I shall remove it immediately.
I, frankly, can't make up my mind.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Re: A recent survey...

Post by russcable » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:41 pm

If it said "maybe" in Arabic, I might have an opinion but 102% of me is reserving judgement till I know if "Era of global security Boashent" (according to Google's translator) means anything.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by PhilHunt » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:10 pm

I'm so shocked I'm going to write a letter to my local MP. Unfortunately I live in Slough so I'll need to get it translated into Urdu first. [Now if that isn't racist, I don't know what is].

A similar survey was carried out in Alaska:
Are there too many immigrants from Europe?

100% said: Is that in Africa?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: That which we cannot speak of, must be passed over in silence...or else tweeted.

Post by minjeff » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:14 pm

I like Phil's better... as long as we clarify who the President or (for those across the pond) the Prime Minister of Africa is
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Letters go together to make words; words go together to make phrases, and phrases sentences, but only in certain combinations. In others they're just non-sense.

Post by Erik_Kowal » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:34 pm

Which part of Slough does Italy lie in?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by Tony Farg » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:30 pm

Perhaps the slough of despond. Or some other pond.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by PhilHunt » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:40 pm

Erik_Kowal wrote:Which part of Slough does Italy lie in?
Per troppo Erik I couldn't make the joke if I said I lived in Milano. No-one with a suntan every gets a place in the government here. ;)

I used to live near Slough when I lived in England. A lovely town called Maidenhead....now there's a word that conquers up images.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: That which we cannot speak of, must be passed over in silence...or else tweeted.

Post by russcable » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:14 pm

When searching for the Arabic text, I found this joke posted on several discussion boards exactly as is and no one ever mentioned that the numbers add up to 102%. I dropped a hint and no one bit. Is it really just me bothered by it, or is that somehow part of the joke that I missed? ;-)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by trolley » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:04 pm

I discovered the same thing, as I Googled around for "Boashent" (to no avail). Some versions listed 102% and some 100%. I don't think it is part of the joke, at least not an intentional part.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by squirrel » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:49 am

No, you wouldn't find any reference to Boashent! That's because it doesn't exist, but Washington (DC) certainly does.

The wisecracker who originally wrote the "joke" copied a section of Arabic/Farsi script from some sort of political article referring to "the era of global security in Washington" and missed out the last "n" , that's all!

The correct Arabic phrase should have been: عهد الأمن العالمي بواشنطن and the last "n" changes the gibberish of Boashent into "bé Washington". Honest!

Easy now you know!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by PhilHunt » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:10 pm

Now, that's funny! :)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC