An IQ test for the intelligent

We've created this area in the hope of seeing material ranging from some well-told (or well retold) jokes to original writing with a humorous slant, or anything else that might appeal to the kind of person who enjoys playing with words more than people. That probably means someone like yourself. N.B. -- Postings preceded by ** contain some sexual or risqué content. (Makes them easier to find.)

Post by Quail » Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:42 pm

Below are four (4) questions and a bonus question. You have to answer them instantly. You can't take your time, answer all of them immediately. OK?

Let's find out just how clever you really are....

Ready? GO!!! (scroll down)

First Question:

You are participating in a race. You overtake the second person. What position are you in?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Answer: If you answered that you are first, then you are
absolutely wrong! If you overtake the second person and you take his place, you are second!

Try not to screw up next time.
Now answer the second question,
but don't take as much time as you took for the first question, OK?

Second Question:
If you overtake the last person, then you are...?
(scroll down)

Answer: If you answered that you are second to last, then you are wrong again. Tell me, how can you overtake the LAST Person?

You're not very good at this, are you?

Third Question:
Very tricky arithmetic! Note: This must be done in your head only.
Do NOT use paper and pencil or a calculator. Try it.

Take 1000 and add 40 to it. Now add another 1000 . Now add 30.
Add another 1000. Now add 20. Now add another 1000 Now add 10. What is the total?

Scroll down for answer.....

Did you get 5000?

The correct answer is actually 4100.

If you don't believe it, check it with a calculator!
Today is definitely not your day, is it?
Maybe you'll get the last question right....
....Maybe.

Fourth Question:

Mary's father has five daughters: 1. Nana, 2. Nene, 3. Nini, 4. Nono. What is the name of the fifth daughter?

Did you Answer Nunu?
NO! Of course it isn't.
Her name is Mary. Read the question again!

Okay, now the bonus round:

A mute person goes into a shop and wants to buy a toothbrush. By
imitating the action of brushing his teeth he successfully expresses himself to the shopkeeper and! the purchase is done.
Next, a blind man comes into the shop who wants to buy a pair of
sunglasses; how does he indicate what he wants?

He just has to open his mouth and ask...
It's really very simple....

Now that wasn't too difficult... or was it?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by haro » Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:36 pm

Quail, I got them all right, BUT I can overtake the last person if the race is held on a circuit over several rounds and I am any of the contestants other than the last.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Hans Joerg Rothenberger
Switzerland

Post by Spearmint » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:09 am

I got them all wrong, and that was even after a nap. Maybe I wasn't totally awake.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Why² » Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:03 pm

haro, it all depends on your definition of "overtake". After all, lapping someone means you are waaay ahead, and overtaking would imply that you were behind the overtaken party beforehand. Physically moving past them, same orientation but different velocity, is a different case, but once again, do you consider that overtaking? The word itself has a similar meaning to "take over", and as you can see from the first question, when you overtake the second person you do effectively take over as number two.

Now that I've washed my face and somewhat sobered up, I can't believe I typed all that about one word.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Whynot?

Post by dalehileman » Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:46 pm

I got one right
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Edwin Ashworth » Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:46 pm

The answer to the fourth question is not necessarily "Mary".
At http://www.namestatistics.com/search.php?name=MARY is the statement: "MARY is the #699 most common male name. 0.009% of men in the US are named MARY. Around 11025 US men are named MARY!"
But thanks for the entertainment, Quail.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:59 am

Of that 0.009%, a hearty few must also be called Hale.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by Edwin Ashworth » Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:07 am

Shameful, Erik. Get thee to confession - with Edward, if you can find her.
Apparently, many of Robin Hood's band shared the feminine-sounding forename.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:30 pm

I suppose they were what Arnold Schwarzenegger would nowadays call 'girly-men'.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by gdwdwrkr » Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:01 pm

Now, Quail, Your IQ test for the others?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Quail » Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:41 pm

Gdwdwrkr:

I guess the basic premise is that the person who devises an IQ test of any sort must be smart enough to cleverly frame a question sufficiently devious, and provide a witty answer as a reward for those who are captured by the puzzle it presents. I would have been proud to have authored the posted “IQ test for the intelligent” but I didn’t. I would have been pleased to have done well on it—but I didn’t. So much for being in a position to author an IQ test for the non-intelligent or even the moderately intelligent.

But, you have posed a direct question and I will honor it. My proposal for an IQ test for the non-intelligent would consist of one question: “How does one know, that one doesn’t know?” One response sure to be given would be: “I don’t know.” The test taker, in fact, would be correct and would be pleased to be told that the response was correct. The question would not be pursued any further.

On the other hand, for arguments sake, what if the same question was posed as an IQ test for the moderately to highly intelligent? One answer might be: they wouldn’t know unless they received an outside gift of knowledge. Another might be: If a lack of perception and understanding exists, a person would never be able to frame a question--a conjecture beginning with, “What if….;” or “Suppose….;” or “Is it possible ….” In that circumstance, he/she would never be able to pursue a path to new knowledge and the subject would never know that he didn’t know.

Your views?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by gdwdwrkr » Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:27 am

I was arrested for speeding a few times too many here in Pennsylvania, and had to go take a written test. The woman in charge admonished us all "not to think too much....just answer the questions quickly with your first impression"... which insured that I would meditate on each one. The questions were ridiculous, had multiple correct answers, or none at all. I passed it, somehow.
That test was written by borderline idiot PA bureaucrats. The test you presented was written by a clever, intelligent person. The similarity is in the direction to answer quickly.....one so the answers would be "right", the other so they would be wrong.

I think your question refers to two fields of knowledge, not the single one that first seems to present itself. I know that I don't know what the dark side of the moon looks like.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Debz » Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:35 pm

Real Estate licence tests are exactly like your driver's test. Made so you have to sit and think about the question before you could even consider trying to come up with an answer. (Which you study for weeks to prepare for.)Also, they give you an alloted amount of time, which makes me uneasy in the first place, regardless of how long it is. The test had some "kind of" correct answers, some really correct answers, and then some really stupid answers. I think they were expecting us to automatically reject the stupid answer and pick the next answer that looked right, but really wasn't the right one.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by gdwdwrkr » Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:35 pm

Debz, that they expected any kind of reasoning put your real estate license (please enter "licence" in the search function and read "off-licence" to see this licentiously beat to death) test puts them several intelligence levels above the writers of my drivers' test! The sad point was that they knew it was so badly composed, that anyone with a shred of sense would have trouble with it.
How did you do on the test?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Debz » Sat Jul 01, 2006 3:21 am

I still have 3 jobs. ;)I read the post about licence/license, and my eyes started glazing over when the word started looking like "licorice."
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS