The grass is always greener...

We've created this area in the hope of seeing material ranging from some well-told (or well retold) jokes to original writing with a humorous slant, or anything else that might appeal to the kind of person who enjoys playing with words more than people. That probably means someone like yourself. N.B. -- Postings preceded by ** contain some sexual or risqué content. (Makes them easier to find.)

The grass is always greener...

Post by Erik_Kowal » Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:16 am

One blisteringly hot afternoon in July, a wealthy lawyer was returning home in his limousine along a road which ran through almost empty countryside. Ahead of the car he spotted two men dressed in tattered rags who appeared to be eating the grass growing along the roadside.

The lawyer ordered his driver to stop, and got out to investigate. He asked one of the men, who was skinnier than a rake, “Why are you eating the grass?”

“We have no money for food,” the man replied, “Grass is all there is.”

“Well then, you can come home with me, and I'll make sure you get something to eat,” the lawyer told him.

“But sir, I also have a wife and two children with me. They’re sitting over in the shade of that tree, waiting for me to bring them some of this grass.”

“Bring them along too,” the lawyer replied.

Turning to the other man, he stated, “You come with us also.”

In a piteous voice the fellow replied, “But sir, I have a wife and SIX children with me!”

“Bring them all as well,” the lawyer answered.

Both families clambered into the vehicle, which was no easy task, even with a car as large as the limousine. Once underway, the two wives clasped their hands together. Swaying from side to side on the tooled leather seat, they gazed up with unseeing tear-filled eyes through the exquisite watered silk roof lining of the car as they mouthed a prayer of gratitude for their families' providential deliverance from starvation.

With almost equal emotion, one of the poor fellows leaned forward towards the lawyer and in choking tones declared, “Sir, you are too kind. Thank you for taking all of us with you! We can hardly express how grateful we are to you for helping us in our hour of need!”

With a deprecating flick of his hand, the lawyer replied, “Oh, nonsense! Think nothing of it!” He paused, and glanced through the side window at the passing scenery.

“You know, you're really going to love my place. The grass there is almost a foot high.”
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC