The spiriting story of an erable entity

We've created this area in the hope of seeing material ranging from some well-told (or well retold) jokes to original writing with a humorous slant, or anything else that might appeal to the kind of person who enjoys playing with words more than people. That probably means someone like yourself. N.B. -- Postings preceded by ** contain some sexual or risqué content. (Makes them easier to find.)

Post by Erik_Kowal » Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:05 am

I had had a day of what seemed like ceasing cord with my colleagues which had left me feeling pretty combobulated. So when I entered the venue of the party I was still quite chalant, despite my efforts to appear gruntled and consolate.

I was furling my wieldy umbrella at the coat-check counter when I first caught sight of her. She was standing alone in a corner, even though she was an entirely descript person; I was taken in believing that she was a woman in a state of total array. Her hair was kempt, her clothing was shevelled, and when she moved it was in a gainly fashion. As I gazed in her direction, suddenly I felt completely flated; I knew at once that I was desperate to meet her.

I also knew I'd have to make some bones about it, since until now I had been travelling cognito. Beknownst to me, the hostess of the occasion, whom I could see both hide and hair of, was very proper, so it would be skin off my nose if I were to cause anything verse to happen through some cretion. And so although I had only swerving loyalty to the hostess, whose bearing I had always found quite arming, I needed to control my peccable manners and ensure they aroused only gust; in other words, only toward and heard-of behaviour on my part would do.

However, the embarrassment that my rather maculate appearance might cause the object of my interest was far from eluctable. There were two ways about it. The chances that someone as flappable as I am could be ept enough to become persona grata in circles such as these, let alone a sung hero, have always doubtedly been stout. I was, after all, something to sneeze at, someone you could easily hold a candle to; indeed, I was the kind of person who generally aroused bridled passions among all those he met. I therefore decided to try gracing myself by making a mistakably wieldy approach.

Meanwhile, for some apparent reason the woman looked in my direction and smiled – smiled in a dainful way that I could make both head and tail of.

I was plussed. It was concerting to observe that she seemed entirely communicado, and it nerved me that she could possibly be interested in a pareil like me, sight seen. Normally, my spirit was domitable, but tonight I felt suddenly capacitated – as if this were something I was great shakes at – and I forgot that I had only succeeded in situations like this a told number of times, when I had been hot-shouldered. So, after a terminable delay I acted with what yesterday would have felt like mitigated gall, and with weak givings I made my way towards her through the ruly crowd.

Despite the fact that this was all new hat to me and I therefore had no time to prepare a promptu speech, my address to her was evitably petuous. And though I wanted to make only called-for remarks, I decided not to cuss the hors d'oeuvres, and to concentrate instead on making large talk, as I wished to abuse her of whatever notions she might possibly have that I was sipid; I even hoped to be able to bunk a few myths about myself.

She responded well once I began to speak, and as our conversation progressed I was both mayed and turbed to find that she seemed to regard me as a savoury kind of character who was up to some good, and who might even be corrigible.

She told me her name. "What a perfect nomer!" I claimed advertently. Our conversation became more and more choate as it went uphill; we spoke stoppably and to great avail. However, being defatigable, I was forced to depart from the party at a godly hour. I asked my companion if she wished to accompany me. To my delight, she was completely committal.

We left the party together, and have been separable never since. For from the first day my love was kindled, she has poured hot water on it; while I have withheld from her my dying affection, which remains fully requited.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by kagriffy » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:21 pm

Erik, your story fed my satiable appetite for wordplay, which is some small feat. At first, I was gusted and a bit taken affront by the plot, but the more I read, the more lighted and lirious I became! Keep down the bad work!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature:
K. Allen Griffy
Springfield, Illinois (USA)

Post by haro » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:27 pm

What a gusting way to figure the English language!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Hans Joerg Rothenberger
Switzerland

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC