Amish in the city

We've created this area in the hope of seeing material ranging from some well-told (or well retold) jokes to original writing with a humorous slant, or anything else that might appeal to the kind of person who enjoys playing with words more than people. That probably means someone like yourself. N.B. -- Postings preceded by ** contain some sexual or risqué content. (Makes them easier to find.)

Amish in the city

Post by Erik_Kowal » Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:07 am

It was their first time in a big city. While his mother was selecting produce at the fruit stand outside, an Amish boy and his father had ventured inside the doors of the shopping mall. They were amazed by almost everything they saw, but especially by two shiny silver walls that could move apart and then slide together again.

"What is this, Father?" asked the boy.

His dad, who had never seen an elevator before now, replied, "Son, I have no idea. I have never seen anything like it before."

While the boy and his father still watched in fascination, a formidable-looking older lady walked up to the moving walls and pressed a button. The walls opened and the lady stepped between them into a small room.

The walls closed, and the boy and his father watched the small circular numbers above the walls light up in ascending sequence, then again in reverse order.

Finally the walls opened again and a beautiful young woman stepped out.

Quietly the father breathed, "Joshua, my son. Go get your mother."
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Amish in the city

Post by haro » Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:16 pm

An Amish lady is trotting down the road in her horse and buggy when she is pulled over by a cop.

"Ma'am, I'm not going to ticket you, but I do have to issue you a warning. You have a broken reflector on your buggy."

"Oh, I'll let my husband, Jacob, know as soon as I get home."

"That's fine. Another thing, ma'am. I don't like the way that one rein loops across the horse's back and around one of his balls. I consider that animal abuse. That's cruelty to animals. Have your husband take care of that right away!"

Later that day, the lady is home telling her husband about her encounter with the cop.

"Well, dear, what exactly did he say?"

"He said the reflector is broken."

"I can fix that in two minutes. What else?"

"I'm not sure, Jacob... something about the emergency brake..."
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Hans Joerg Rothenberger
Switzerland

Amish in the city

Post by haro » Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:20 pm

And then, of course, there still is the Amish computer virus. Here's how it goes: You get the following hand-written letter:

"Hello There You English - You have just received the 'Amish Virus'.

As we don't have any programming experience, this virus works on the honor system. Please delete all the files from your hard drive and manually forward this virus to everyone on your mailing list.

Thanks for your cooperation,

Amish Computer Engineering Dept."
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Hans Joerg Rothenberger
Switzerland

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC