Beer versus wine: An ancient quarrel

We've created this area in the hope of seeing material ranging from some well-told (or well retold) jokes to original writing with a humorous slant, or anything else that might appeal to the kind of person who enjoys playing with words more than people. That probably means someone like yourself. N.B. -- Postings preceded by ** contain some sexual or risqué content. (Makes them easier to find.)

Beer versus wine: An ancient quarrel

Post by Erik_Kowal » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:49 pm

One for you, Bob:

An old Roman fort, part of Hadrian's Wall, used to guard a bridge across the River Tyne. The legionnaires who manned it were of two nationalities: Gauls and Germanic tribesmen. They despised one another, mostly because the Gauls drank wine and the Germans beer. The Germans accused the Gauls of stealing their stoneware beer mugs and contaminating them with wine, making them unfit for beer-drinking. So they did what they could to hide them, excavating holes among the stones lining the riverbank in which they could conceal their mugs.

In this way, they demonstrated that a niche in Tyne saves steins.

Cheers!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Beer versus wine: An ancient quarrel

Post by Ken Greenwald » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:39 pm

Erik,

Beautiful!! :D

Ken - November 14, 2018
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by tony h » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:37 pm

Excellent. May I add another>

One of my favourites was the newspaper headline (I believe of fact) when the lower ranked non-league Inverness Caledonian Thistle (Cally to their supporters) thrashed the mighty Celtic in the football league.

The headline read: "Super Cally go ballistic, Celtic were atrocious"
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by Bobinwales » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:02 am

Thank you Erik. Please consider it stolen. Or under the circumstances, should I say stollen?
And Tony, it was indeed a genuine headline. Here you go/
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC