Religion - politics - weather

This area has been established to allow you, our visitors and contributors, to get to know one another a bit better, or to discuss subjects of general interest, without feeling obliged to restrict your postings to language-related topics. But we draw the line at floccinaucinihilivilification.

Religion - politics - weather

Post by Stevenloan » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:18 am

Hi everyone! Do you discuss religion and politics openly? If not. Is talking about the weather the safest topic that does not cause disagreements?

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Religion - politics - weather

Post by Bobinwales » Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:33 pm

I am a (retired) politician, so yes, I do discuss politics openly. As an atheist I find that discussing religion can cause offence, so i avoid doing so. I do talk about the weather even though I live in a nation that is famous for rain.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by BonnieL » Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:36 pm

I'm one of the rare liberals in a very conservative area. I also hate conflict so politics is out, religion is iffy. Weather is a safe topic unless someone starts ranting that climate change is not real.

I stay home a lot. :shock:
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by trolley » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:37 pm

When I turned 19, my Dad took me to the pub for my first (legal) pint. He gave a few words of advice about how to behave in a bar. Among them, were do not discuss religion or politics, be skeptical of any promises that strangers may make to you and if a fight breaks out, stay in your seat, unless you are directly involved. Even if someone lands on your table, just grab your glass and slide your chair back. If you stand up, consider yourself part of the action. Strange, he didn't mention anything about the weather.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by tony h » Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:58 pm

I don't tend to cope with small talk. So my go-to subjects are history, science (especially history of science) and agriculture. So if I met you Steven, I would quite rapidly get to a point where I ask you: where you are from. I assume the answer would be Vietnam. Then I would find myself, depending on your interests and knowledge, about the Franco - Japanese rule over Vietnam in WW2 or the economic and social impact of mechanisation on Vietnamese farming or religion. Religion because I can't remember associating any particular religion with Vietnam. In doing so politics and religion will necessarily become a part of the conversation and, sometimes, are the core of the discussion. I do find it interesting discussing with people who hold very different views to me. However I never understand the personal insults, and blanket abuse, which seem to feature so much in modern politics and social media and which occasionally find there way into this forum. I have always understood that such things should be discussed, through discussions comes mutual understanding. If people just shout, I don't get involved.
On the occasions of my first visit to Belfast, I went with an English colleague to the pub next door. Well we got served, and noticing the posters around we got talking about the relative roles of Michael Collins and de Valera who, had both been visitors to the pub. The conversation was clearly entertaining the locals , so to clarify a point of difference between us I asked the bar. Well we stayed late into the night and were made very welcome. The next day, at the office, our Irish colleagues said: we should have warned you about that place. They hate the English and can get violent. I am sure they could but they didn't.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by Stevenloan » Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:07 am

Bob, BonnieL, trolley and tony h : Thank you all so much for your answers. Enjoy your day.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by tony h » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:03 am

Stevenloan wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:07 am Bob, BonnieL, trolley and tony h : Thank you all so much for your answers. Enjoy your day.

StevenLoan
It would be interesting to see your own answer to your question.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by Phil White » Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:03 pm

BonnieL wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:36 pm I stay home a lot. :shock:
Delightful, Bonnie! I am still giggling.

I am a political animal, like Bob, and also like Bob, I am an atheist. I have long ceased worrying about social niceties when talking to people. I will always talk about politics, no matter what the situation. I have no time for people who seem to think that politics is something that is done by other people. It is part of almost all the decisions we take in life.

As far as religion is concerned, it is not something that often comes up with the people I talk to. I don't go out of my way to avoid the subject, but it simply holds no interest for me unless somebody thinks it is their mission to change my mind. Then I am liable to become rather robust in my response...

Because I have a dog and walk her for a couple of hours every day, and because I meet a lot of other dog walkers, I constantly talk about the weather. But the real function of "talking about the weather" is to signal to the other person that you are happy to chat with them for a few minutes or more. It is an invitation to enter into a conversation. And yes, it is a very common way of making such an invitation in the UK. It is a national stereotype, but, as with most stereotypes, there is some truth behind it.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Stevenloan » Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:48 pm

tony h : I seldom openly discuss politics or religion with other people because these two topics tend to put people in awkward situations or make people feel rather uncomfortable. But I do like talking about the weather with others.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC