Shoot

This area has been established to allow you, our visitors and contributors, to get to know one another a bit better, or to discuss subjects of general interest, without feeling obliged to restrict your postings to language-related topics. But we draw the line at floccinaucinihilivilification.

Shoot

Post by Stevenloan » Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:52 am

Hi guys, "Shoot" is used to show that you are annoyed or disappointed about something. For example : "Oh, shoot! I forgot to buy milk."

Among "shoot", "shit" and "damn", which one do you use the most?

I look forward to hearing from you

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Shoot

Post by Bobinwales » Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:12 pm

Steven, "shoot" used like that is a minced oath. What the speaker would like to say is "Oh shit!", but is too polite.
In a situation like that, I would have said, "Damn I forgot", "Bugger I forgot", "Sod it I forgot" "Blast I forgot". None of which are minced, but the bloody list is endless.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by BonnieL » Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:55 pm

At that level of annoyance it's a toss-up between shoot & fudge. On occasion I'll say "heavens to Betsy". As the annoyance level pushes up into anger, my language gets saltier.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by tony h » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:01 pm

A friend of mine who lives in France (A colourful chap . Born in Switzerland to a Polish mother and an occasionally-with-money French acrobat (yes, the circus kind) escaped to England in 1939 and was flying Hurricanes at 16 in the Battle of Britain) speaks English, German, French , Spanish chooses as his epithet of choice a curmudgeonly "Bloody 'ell". On asking about his choice he replied that there is no more useful a phrase in any language.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by Stevenloan » Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:16 am

Bob, BonnieL and tony h : Thank you all so much for your answers. Enjoy your day.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC