Useful tip for those with hard-to-open wallets

This area has been established to allow you, our visitors and contributors, to get to know one another a bit better, or to discuss subjects of general interest, without feeling obliged to restrict your postings to language-related topics. But we draw the line at floccinaucinihilivilification.

Useful tip for those with hard-to-open wallets

Post by Phil White » Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:13 pm

It is a sign of the great enthusiasm with which I approach Christmas Day that I spent a significant part of this one repairing a handheld vacuum cleaner...

Having noticed a mound of dog hair on the stairs, I dug out the old handheld vacuum and tried to suck it up. No joy. The brushes were not turning.

With my vision, dismantling and cleaning things like this is, well, fun in its own way, but I know this particular beast. Stripped it down, cleaned it up, reassembled it and plugged it in. No joy. The rubber drive belt was knackered. Hmmm. Went online to look for a replacement. £80 ??? I am much too tight to pay that when I have a perfectly serviceable one that is only, well ... It went out of production in 1993...

A little googling and a shot in the dark and I boiled the belt (with some washing powder) for about 5 minutes. Rinsed it off in cold water and refitted it. It is now nice and tight and the brushes are doing their job. And all without opening my wallet!

The drive belt on my old record player is next up! ... and the feed wheels on that old printer in the attic ...

Have a wonderful festive period boiling your worn-out rubber objects!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Re: Useful tip for those with hard-to-open wallets

Post by gdwdwrkr » Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:29 pm

...a felicitous turn of events that your vacuum works again.
One of the highlights of my day included the Shark (vacuum) which my wife decided needed to be run on the first-floor. I jumped up from the other highlight of my day, reading Unoffendable by Brant Hansen, to move every obstacle from her vacuuming, a simple act, but one inspired, as I'd not thought of it before.
Oh, and making a "Danish Puff" for Christmas breakfast.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by tony h » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:19 pm

Phil White. When I was a lad there were a couple in the neighbouring village on whom I used to call. Mrs Oliver cooked, darned and sewed. Mr Oliver was always repairing, reusing, experimenting and I enjoyed being encouraged to take part. One day I called in on my way home from school and Mrs Oliver was having tea with a friend and my young ears picked up that the friend's husband had left her for his attractive, young secretary. I was upset as I didn't know couples split up. After the friend had left Mrs Oliver said to me, "That will never happen to Mr Oliver and me because we always look to repair and mend and love the things better for their repairs."
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by Erik_Kowal » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:01 pm

tony h wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:19 pm
After the friend had left Mrs Oliver said to me, "That will never happen to Mr Oliver and me because we always look to repair and mend and love the things better for their repairs."
Very heartwarming! :)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by BonnieL » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:19 am

Tony - that's such a sweet story. Thank you for sharing it!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by gdwdwrkr » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:12 pm

Tony h.
I had a pair of mentors like the Olivers. Different as night and day, they worked together as you described. One of their secrets to happiness: when arguing, laughter and peace must ensue immediately after one of them brings-up a third family-member.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC