Missing

This area has been established to allow you, our visitors and contributors, to get to know one another a bit better, or to discuss subjects of general interest, without feeling obliged to restrict your postings to language-related topics. But we draw the line at floccinaucinihilivilification.

Missing

Post by Bobinwales » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:02 pm

Just in case anyone has missed me, my laptop is in hospital. It has had a very unfortunate altercation with a glass of Merlot I expect to be back in the land of the virtual next week.
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Re: Missing

Post by tony h » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:49 pm

When it is off the drip it might like a byte to eat.

Well someone had to.
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

Post by trolley » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:36 am

Tony..."off the drip"? I've never heard that and Google offers up nothing. I imagine it's a reference to an IV drip....when you're "off the drip", you're in recovery. If that's not what it means, I think it should.
Post actions:

Post by tony h » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:30 pm

trolley wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:36 am
Tony..."off the drip"? I've never heard that and Google offers up nothing. I imagine it's a reference to an IV drip....when you're "off the drip", you're in recovery. If that's not what it means, I think it should.
Trolley, in the '70s Monty Python used to be shown in Japan at the end of each programme a group of men in suits would discuss the ins and outs of English humour portrayed in the sketches. This is going to feel a bit like that.

With the PC in hospital, as Bob put it, there was the play on the dripping red wine and loss of blood requiring blood levels to be restored through an Intravenous drip.

DRIP is also a computing term for Data Rich Information Poor and Bob's PC was in a position where, I suspect, it still had data but no ability to access it. I took a wry smile at this one as I suspect it would glide past most people.

"Coming off the drip" is a normal phrase for removing the drip and restoring IP element of the DRIP,

Often when on a drip the patient is not allowed to eat so by coming off the drip which allows for the Byte to eat - which I hope needs no explanation.

Now if you can still find any element of humour by re-reading my original post you are a better man than I Gunga Din.
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

Post by Wizard of Oz » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:39 am

Bob my commiserations. I hope you didn't spill ALL the merlot.

WoZ drinking a Petrus 2005
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Bobinwales » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:45 pm

I have changed the Merlot for a Malbec, and my laptop, complete with a new keyboard, is back home with me.
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Wizard of Oz » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:30 am

Aha. Malbec the great red hope of South America. Any wine that translate as bad beak or in French Canadien as bad kiss is sus.

WoZ who rarely drinks malbec
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

End of topic.