Anzac Day

This area has been established to allow you, our visitors and contributors, to get to know one another a bit better, or to discuss subjects of general interest, without feeling obliged to restrict your postings to language-related topics. But we draw the line at floccinaucinihilivilification.

Anzac Day

Post by Bobinwales » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:13 pm

Have a day of quiet contemplation and memory WoZ. It is necessary to remember them.
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Re: Anzac Day

Post by Wizard of Oz » Wed May 10, 2017 5:09 pm

Thanks Bob. I did just that. Don't get up for the Dawn Service at 5:00am anymore. I do watch the march telecast and this year watched the service broadcast from France. Attendances at our Dawn Services is actually growing. Lots of children wearing Dad's medals.

WoZ who served
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Phil White » Wed May 10, 2017 9:23 pm

And watch "Gallipoli". Breaks my heart every time.
Post actions:
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by trolley » Wed May 10, 2017 10:32 pm

WoZ, wearing a relative’s medals is a pretty contentious issue in Canada. I understand that in some countries it is acceptable (if they are worn on the right breast) but Canadian law and military custom are quite clear…they are only to be worn by the recipient. The law came about in the 20s to prevent people from impersonating military veterans. It is sad that a surviving family member cannot attend a Remembrance Day service here, proudly displaying the honours awarded to their relative for services and sacrifices made in the name of freedom. My Dad, a decorated Korean war vet is very clear on the subject.
“Those are my bloody medals! They were given to me and they do not belong to the Canadian government or the Royal Canadian Navy. If I choose to give them to you so you can stand at the cenotaph and acknowledge those who paid the ultimate price when I am gone…who the hell is anyone to say otherwise?” It’s hard for me to understand how that choice is not his to make…
Post actions:

Post by BonnieL » Thu May 11, 2017 2:37 am

I don't know what the law is here about wearing a relative's medals, but I'm pretty sure that impersonating a soldier or veteran is against the law. When my dad died, my sister mounted his medals in a picture frame - it looked great. She's got it on her wall. One could carry that kind of display to an event that honors veterans.

Time does fly - I thought Anzac Day was just a few months ago!
Post actions:

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu May 11, 2017 5:40 pm

US President Barack Obama signed into law the Stolen Valor Act in June 2013 (see https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stolen_ ... ct_of_2013). This legislation makes it an offence to pretend to have been awarded military medals not actually earned if the purpose is to fool others into conferring some kind of material benefit on you as a result.
Post actions:

Post by Bobinwales » Tue May 16, 2017 8:48 pm

I have my father's medals and take them with me to memorial events in my pocket. However, I did wear them, on the right hand side, when I was the Town Mayor dressed in ceremonial robes and actually laid a wreath.
Post actions:
Bob in Wales

Post by Bobinwales » Thu May 18, 2017 1:14 pm

I found THIS picture of the very event, together with my father's medals - and the Mayoress!
Post actions:
Bob in Wales

Post by Wizard of Oz » Mon May 22, 2017 4:45 am

Trolley that is a shame. I can totally agree with your Father. It is terrific here to see the family heritage continued in families where a number of generations have been in the military. I think if they tried to stop it here then they would be ignored.

Bob in your robes and medals who would dare argue with your authority.

WoZ with medals
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

End of topic.