News

This area has been established to allow you, our visitors and contributors, to get to know one another a bit better, or to discuss subjects of general interest, without feeling obliged to restrict your postings to language-related topics. But we draw the line at floccinaucinihilivilification.

News

Post by Bobinwales » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:42 pm

Some of you may remember that I first came to Word Wizard in 2005 looking for a word to use when describing the lady with whom I had a relationship. I didn't, and still don't like 'Partner'. I settled on 'Moiety', and Margaret has been introduced as such since then.

I am happy to tell you that I have stopped doing that, because after all those years of being together and three years of actually living together she finally said, "Yes" and we got married.
We did the deed quietly and without fuss whilst we were both 69.
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Re: News

Post by Phil White » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:08 pm

Congratulations! About bloody time, if I may say so.
Post actions:
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Erik_Kowal » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:08 pm

69 is a most propitious number. Well done!
Post actions:

Post by Ken Greenwald » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:27 am

Contratulations! And no worries about birth control. (<:)

Ken - December 22, 2016
Post actions:

Post by tony h » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:56 pm

What excellent news. Congratulations go to Mr and Mrs Bob in Wales!

As a matter of interest how does she style herself? I was taught that Mrs Peter Smith is the wife of Peter Smith whereas Mrs Jane Smith is the widow of Mr Smith. This difference does not seem to be as strongly held as in prior decades.
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

Post by Erik_Kowal » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:23 pm

tony h wrote:I was taught that Mrs Peter Smith is the wife of Peter Smith whereas Mrs Jane Smith is the widow of Mr Smith. This difference does not seem to be as strongly held as in prior decades.
Yes, it started to go out of style when it began to be widely accepted that a woman is not (or should not be) merely an object owned by a man. Indeed, I doubt that many women today who are aged below 70 or so** would even consider using their husband's forename to label themselves.

------------------
**OK then, 69.
Post actions:

Post by Wizard of Oz » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:54 am

Bob I am so sorry that I have only just seen this. I have been out of action and now my computer is dead. I am typing this in the library. New iMac on the way in a couple of weeks.

That is absolutely fabulous news. Not quite as long as Rhonda and I but a nice settling in period was observed. Mate I just can't tell you how happy this makes me. Give the blushing bride a big brotherly kiss and hug from me. I will tell Rhonda when I get home.

WoZ startled
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

End of topic.