Seven

This area has been established to allow you, our visitors and contributors, to get to know one another a bit better, or to discuss subjects of general interest, without feeling obliged to restrict your postings to language-related topics. But we draw the line at floccinaucinihilivilification.

Seven

Post by Bobinwales » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:30 am

Well WoZ, at least your ladies rule the world!
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Re: Seven

Post by Phil White » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:05 pm

The Olympics coverage gave me an idea. Instead of all this tedious Brexit negotiation stuff, we should just sort it all out once and for all in a sporting competition. Perhaps Angela Merkel and Theresa May in a beach volleyball match.

And yes, well done the Australian Rugby Sevens ladies.
Post actions:
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Wizard of Oz » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:02 pm

Thank you Gentlewizards. Rumours of my death are overstated. Yes I think you will see several of the girls playing in the Bledisloe Cup team on Saturday. And even then i doubt that we have any hope at all.

WoZ severely in the dumps.
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Wizard of Oz » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:54 am

Seems we should have played the whole squad with reserves. Mate we are facing a whitewash of the Internationals. I have never been in that situation before with the Wallabies.

WoZ in despondency cries
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Bobinwales » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:00 pm

I wonder why we had Rugby Sevens in the Olympics, but all 11 played soccer. Shouldn't they have been playing five-a-side?
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Wizard of Oz » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:01 am

I wonder why soccer is even in the Olympics given that the teams are not open sides. They are junior representative sides. Teams participating in the preliminary and final competitions must be composed of U-23 players, with a maximum of three players who are older than U-23. No other sport dictates the age of the competitors. I reckon this makes a mockery of the Olympic ideal.

WoZ who says get rid of them
Post actions:

Post by tony h » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:44 am

Wizard of Oz wrote:I reckon this makes a mockery of the Olympic ideal.
Surely the ideal of it being amateur is most mocked.
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:29 pm

Very true, Tony. The 'Olympic ideal' has been a dead letter for years.
Post actions:

End of topic.