Please explain

This area has been established to allow you, our visitors and contributors, to get to know one another a bit better, or to discuss subjects of general interest, without feeling obliged to restrict your postings to language-related topics. But we draw the line at floccinaucinihilivilification.

Please explain

Post by Phil White » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:07 pm

I have been following the news in Germany today, as the train accident in Bad Aibling was only a couple of miles from where I spent much of my adult life. The local paper had a sort of blog ticker up with short updates.

The most recent one read something like "The latest casualty figures for the train disaster in Bad Aibling have risen to 10 dead, 17 seriously injured ...".

Under each newsflash, you have the opportunity to give the newsflash a thumbs-up (like) or share on social media.

This is bad enough. What shocks me is that no small number of people have actually made the effort of "liking" the newsflash.

Ten unsuspecting commuters dead. LOL

Am I just ready for the old-folks home?
Post actions:
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Re: Please explain

Post by trolley » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:44 pm

I often wonder that, too. I follow a few different forums that use the "thumbs up" or "like" button and am sometimes left scratching my head. What is there to like? Do they like the fact that someone is reporting it, do they agree with something that was said, do they like the writer's style or do they like the fact someone was injured....and it wasn't them?
Post actions:

Post by tony h » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:26 pm

I had the same thing recently with a relative died.
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

Post by Erik_Kowal » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:47 am

On Facebook and other social media sites, the 'Like' button can have multiple uses:
- To mark genuine liking of, or pleasure derived from, the content of a posting
- To acknowledge the importance of what the posting is about
- To indicate to the person who made the posting that the 'liker' has at least noticed it
- To recommend the posting to others
- To indicate one's support for a cause connected with the subject of the posting
So people who 'liked' the train crash story you referred to, Phil, may have had a variety of motivations for doing so. I suspect you may be reading schadenfreude into their 'likes' where none exists.

But go ahead and book your place in the old folks' home anyway. ;)
Post actions:

Post by Wizard of Oz » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:22 am

Phil you might as well book two places as I share your dismay at the use of the "Like" button. Whilst Erik gives a cogent list of possible meanings one is always left wondering which one the "Liker" really likes. I support the idea of having other buttons available to better reflect what one is thinking. I have taken to not using the "Like" button but just commenting.

WoZ not liking having to like
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Bobinwales » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:22 pm

There was talk about Facebook installing a "Not Like" button, I wonder what happened to that idea.

I can see the logic in the examples that Erik gave, and agree entirely. "Like" is simply the wrong word for the function, however "LOL" (and that is actually the first time I have actually typed it), is quite simply an abomination. More and more people are using it instead of a full-stop without any thought whatsoever about what the abbreviation is about. Hence Phil's chilling example.
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Wizard of Oz » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:12 pm

Bob for time before the current usage I had always used LOL to mean Little Old Lady/Ladies. Generally with the connotation of her being active and maybe a bit go get it.

WoZ who doesn't mind an LOL
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:56 pm

The mentions of the abbreviation 'LOL' reminded me that when she was giving testimony about her self-confessed alleged incompetence to the Leveson phone-hacking inquiry, Rebekah Brooks (the ex-editor of the now-defunct News of the World) said that David Cameron habitually used it to sign his texts to her, apparently believing it stood for 'Lots of love'.

(Which raises a whole 'nother bunch of questions about the relationship between a serving prime minister and the editor-in-chief of a mass-market tabloid, but those lie outside the scope of this discussion thread).
Post actions:

Post by Phil White » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:46 pm

Erik_Kowal wrote:(Which raises a whole 'nother bunch of questions about the relationship between a serving prime minister and the editor-in-chief of a mass-market tabloid, but those lie outside the scope of this discussion thread).
Which, presumably, is why you raised the issue in the first place.
Post actions:
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Erik_Kowal » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:58 am

You might think that. I couldn't possibly comment.
Post actions:

End of topic.