Snippets from old-time ads (or the whole thing if you like)

This area has been established to allow you, our visitors and contributors, to get to know one another a bit better, or to discuss subjects of general interest, without feeling obliged to restrict your postings to language-related topics. But we draw the line at floccinaucinihilivilification.

Re: Snippets from old-time ads (or the whole thing if you like)

Post by Phil White » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:21 pm

Bonnie: On toast. Thinly. NO! T-H-I-N-L-Y! With real butter. If you are a vegan, a good olive oil spread will have to do, but it's not the same. Then get adventurous with the Marmite cookbook. Vegemite (and, apparently, New Zealand Marmite), have sugar and/or caramel in them. Marmite does not. Massive difference in taste.
Post actions:
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Erik_Kowal » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:34 pm

Both Vegemite and Marmite are incredibly salty. Vegemite also has a gritty texture that makes consuming it neat a similar experience to chowing down on a mouthful of beach sand flavoured with kitchen trashcan rinsings. Marmite is smoother, but as with Vegemite, a very small amount of it goes a very long way.

As a kid I used to like Marmite dabbed onto toast — maybe a quarter of a teaspoon per slice, at most. Now their excessive saltiness (and in the case of Vegemite, its grittiness) means that I can't stand either Marmite or Vegemite except in gravy, as a desperate substitute for meat stock.
Post actions:

Post by Ken Greenwald » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:24 pm

aaa
Forced vegemite and marmite feeding are on a par with waterboarding for most of us in the U.S. When I first (and last tasted) these delicacies on a trip to New Zealand I nearly gagged. Tasted like eating a salt lick with a few other unsavory items thrown in. There ought o be a warning label when these are sold in the U.S. — this product may be detrimental to your taste buds!

Ken — December 21, 2015
Post actions:

Post by Bobinwales » Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:15 pm

I am a knuckle headed dolt. Marmite is inedible.

We now Marmite actors/singers/comedians/etc. You either love them or hate them, it is a very useful little tool. "Justin Bieber is a right marmite!".
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Wizard of Oz » Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:12 pm

Vegemite is a taste you grow up with. It is just part of your life. For me and my friends, particularly my Rhonda, it is a part of our daily food intake. It is an extreme source of vitamin B. Not all Aussies like it but that is their fault. Marmite? Tried it and found it to be a runny insipid pale imitation of the real thing, vegemite. But who cares. Vegemiters know they have god on their side. The fourth king, little known, was an Aussie and he brought Vegemite to the Mary in the stable gig.

WoZ with vege on toast for brekky
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:58 am

Phil White wrote:...the world is divided into those who love Marmite and knuckleheaded dolts.
Wizard of Oz wrote:Marmite? Tried it and found it to be a runny insipid pale imitation of the real thing, vegemite. But who cares. Vegemiters know they have god on their side.
Clearly, an irresistible force is in the process of colliding with an immovable object.

Quarks will soon fly in Wordwizard's Relativistic Heavy Irony Collider.
Post actions:

End of topic.