The Game They Play in Heaven

This area has been established to allow you, our visitors and contributors, to get to know one another a bit better, or to discuss subjects of general interest, without feeling obliged to restrict your postings to language-related topics. But we draw the line at floccinaucinihilivilification.

Re: The Game They Play in Heaven

Post by Phil White » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:03 pm

We'll wait and see.

It seems to me that even the running game that we see nowadays tends to be opportunist, predatory stuff off the back of set pieces, rather than systematic working with a free ball. Of course, this has always been the case to some extent, but my contention remains that pictures of players moodily staring at the posts, taking thirty seconds before they decide to call for a tee, another minute and a half to line up a kick, a couple of minutes to set a scrum or organize a lineout followed by a brief burst of action and then another set piece just doesn't grab my attention. I was serious when I said it reminded me of American football. Even though the backs are still scoring tries, it is coming from much duller, largely static play. The try-scoring, when it comes, is all very jolly, but the territory play is yawn-inspiring.

Yes, the refereeing is intrusive, but the game has forced them that way to a certain extent.

This article actually gives the lie to my contention that things have been getting worse, at least since 1991, but it is still alarming that even at the 2011 World Cup, the average time the ball was in play per match was a mere 44% of the nominal 80 minutes. I would be surprised if even this figure was reached in some of the few matches I watched this year.

To be fair, all this probably applies far more to the international game than it does to the club game. Perhaps it is the level of TV scrutiny the international game is subject to, or perhaps the bizarre notion of "not losing at all costs". It's not often you see a club match on freeview TV in the UK, but the occasional ones I do catch up with on Youtube are infinitely more interesting than the internationals.
Post actions:
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Wizard of Oz » Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:53 pm

Bloody ballboys, slippery balls, goalposts crooked, grass cut too short, AB supporters making too much noise. There's got to be an excuse somewhere. Oh that's right the ABs were the best, forgot that. Damn bloody Kiwis have 4 more bloody years of bragging rights.

But the Wallabies tried their hearts out and it was close, 4 points in it then 7. But the dropped ball try at the end put the icing on the cake for the ABs.

WoZ McWallaby
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Phil White » Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:03 pm

Only caught the second half. It was among the most entertaining I have seen for a while.

A final with the two best teams around at the moment, and the best team won after a good match. Hey, what more could one want? Well done all of them!
Post actions:
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Bobinwales » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:59 pm

It was a bloody good game, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Pity it wasn't Wales though.
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

End of topic.