The Game They Play in Heaven

This area has been established to allow you, our visitors and contributors, to get to know one another a bit better, or to discuss subjects of general interest, without feeling obliged to restrict your postings to language-related topics. But we draw the line at floccinaucinihilivilification.

Re: The Game They Play in Heaven

Post by Phil White » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:30 pm

Don't worry, Bob, we'll soften them up for you.
Post actions:
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Bobinwales » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:54 pm

WoZ, We are flying THIS in Wales on Saturday.
We need you to win to make our passage to the next round an easier passage.
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Phil White » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:53 pm

Before anyone says anything, please note that, as administrator, I have the prerogative of shutting this thread down.

We woz stuffed. Poor show. I suppose I shall have to transfer my allegiance to Ireland on the basis that I have some Irish blood in me somewhere.
Post actions:
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Wizard of Oz » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:27 am

33-13. Need I say more Bob. All week we had been hearing about their famous scrum, their famous goalkicker, their scintillating backline and on and on. Seems they all went to Blackpool for the day. But never worry I know that all Welshmen, like us colonial children, are so sad to see our Lords and Masters dumped from their own party. Aren't we? I don't know the courtly procedure for this occasion.

Well Bob I suppose we are not to talk to each other this week?

Aussie WoZ McWallaby
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Bobinwales » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:45 pm

'Bye Woz,

Thanks for doing us a favour last night, but I am afraid that is the end of our conversation until next week as you say.

See you in a couple of weeks.

As I write this the Irish are about to line up against the Italians.

Begosh and Begorrah and top of the morning.
Post actions:
Bob in Wales

Post by Bobinwales » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:52 pm

We ask you to do one thing, and you misheard "one" and thought we said, "won". Now we have to go out and beat the Springboks for you.

What a game that was though. I watched it in Bath with an English woman (our landlady) who didn't know anything about rugby!
Post actions:
Bob in Wales

Post by Phil White » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:55 pm

I just came across a new site that will, perhaps, be appreciated by the Brits, and offer this as a final comment on the English performance.
Post actions:
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:56 pm

I fear I shall never understand Benny Hill.
Post actions:

Post by Phil White » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:18 pm

Erik_Kowal wrote:I fear I shall never understand Benny Hill.
Shall I explain? I still have a copy of a very good thread...
Post actions:
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Phil White » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:40 pm

Ah well, Bob. Sorry about that. I suspect it's what you get when you pick a fight with a bunch of Sith Ifricans.

Looks like the Irish will have the burden of the entire Northern Hemisphere on their shoulders. I can't see the Scots showing the Australians what they can do with their didgeridoos.
Post actions:
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Wizard of Oz » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:30 am

Phil it turned out that a didgeridoo in the hands of a SA ref can be a dangerous thing. The player of course who is most relieved is the reserve Scottish hooker who made an absolute mess of throwing in perhaps the most important ball of his playing career. A simple throw to a dominate jumper but he overthrew it and of course the Wallabies went into the history book.

The Wallabies generally take care of Los Pumas but I was at Le Parc des Princes in 2007 when Los Pumas kicked some Froggy butt to take 3rd place that year. Rugby is so unpredictable as it is played by man-apes. About 4.5 hours to kick off so I had better get inside and settle in. The morning will tell.

WoZ the Wobbly Wallaby
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Bobinwales » Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:02 pm

I am Australian today. Gd'day Cobbers.
Post actions:
Bob in Wales

Post by Bobinwales » Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:55 pm

Congratulations on getting to the Final WoZ. But I have to say that although I will be wearing green and gold (figuratively) next week. I really expect the cup to be going across The Ditch from you.
Post actions:
Bob in Wales

Post by Phil White » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:48 am

Being serious for a moment, I am happy for any team to win who plays open, attractive, free-flowing rugby. I don't see a great deal when I watch a game nowadays, but what I do see is often stultifyingly dull. I sometimes have the impression that I am watching something more akin to a game of American Football than the rugby I remember from my youth. Where is the beautiful, free-flowing stuff that the Welsh, the French and, yes, the All Blacks have all made their trademark at various times. Not to mention the venerable tradition of the Barbarians.

Grunt, heave, whistle, penalty. Grunt, heave, whistle, penalty. It was all so much better when I was a lad.

It's undoubtedly all the fault of the Conservative government. Or the multinationals. Or Jeremy Corbyn...
Post actions:
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Wizard of Oz » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:32 am

Phil I don't think you can call the Wallabies and ABs dull when it comes to running backlines. In the quarterfinal and the semifinal the Wallabies scored 9 trys with 7 being scored by running backs. I do agree that much of the fun has been taken out of Rugby and that it doesn't hold the same level of unpredictability that it once held. The game is over-regulated by officialdom and too many referees who won't make a decision without looking at it again and again and again. The interference of touch judges, ooops I mean assistant referees, just makes the game slower and more stop start for no real benefit.

I could go on forever but yes I do agree with you on the game generally but not on running rugby. I think the final will be a very running event.

WoZ McWallaby
Post actions: