The Game They Play in Heaven

This area has been established to allow you, our visitors and contributors, to get to know one another a bit better, or to discuss subjects of general interest, without feeling obliged to restrict your postings to language-related topics. But we draw the line at floccinaucinihilivilification.

The Game They Play in Heaven

Post by Wizard of Oz » Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:06 pm

Well Bob it is that time again. Four years has flown. I notice those rosey bastards managed to cheat a win over Fiji in the opener. Well maybe they didn't cheat but it looked that way from where I sat.

Now you realise that the world of Rugby is expecting that the Scarlets will do their duty next Saturday and kick England's arse. Pull the bloody wheels off that godforsaken chariot. Lower St George. Get the Men of Harlech ready to charge out of the hollow. Got the picture?? No bloody prisoners!!

WoZ McWallaby
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Re: The Game They Play in Heaven

Post by Bobinwales » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:58 pm

We will try very hard for you WoZ. Japan did rather well today I thought.
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by tony h » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:38 am

When I was a child I remember going to various of the "Victory" anniversary parades but the talk beforehand was of moving on. Not letting the horrors of a previous generation stop us from trying to be better in this generation. Learn from what went before - don't allow it to fester. With relatives killed in all major conflict zones I could have grown up with bitterness and loathing. But I haven't.

So when I see so much banter of a nationalistic vain I wonder : is this the thin end of the wedge or is it actually harmless? My fear is that it is not harmless. I can feel attacked and vilified because of the place of my birth - not for what I have done. And if I was a different person this would accumulate as aggression, in me it accumulates as sadness that the world of words is not becoming a better place.

So can we have the rivalry, the challenge without the invective?

One might hope that such a process on a world scale could be a force for good. But that hope would not account for people's love of power. Because a love of power creeps up on people. It enters their soul stealthily, it takes a grip with an insidious mantra of : it is necessary for the greater good.

So my proposition is that we rephrase our rivalry and esteem those who take the challenge.

Well it is Sunday.
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

Post by Wizard of Oz » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:19 am

The Boks were bonsaied banzaied and bushidoed. It was a great game where the the Blossoms would just not give in. One of those games where nobody told the underdogs what part they were expected to play. The scenes at the end of the game were fantastic. There were elderly Japanese supporters crying their eyes out. The try that Japan scored to level the scores, in the far right corner, would have to rate as one the best worked trys I have seen in a long long time.

Bob it was just too good to be true. The Boks bashed, bruised and bewildered.

WoZ in Rugby heaven
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Phil White » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:40 pm

Looking through the results and fixtures on the web, I hear

Samoa 25:16 United States
New Zealand 26:16 Argentina
Australia 16:45 Fiji

Absolutely delighted me.
Until I realized the last of these was a fixture time and not a result. We can only hope...
Post actions:
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Phil White » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:19 pm

In a true spirit of bonhomie and sportsmanship, Bob, let me wish your boys all the best for Saturday. If you need a full-back, perhaps you could call JPR out of retirement ... and then call "99".

Should you need it after the match, you can cheer yourself up again with this.
Post actions:
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Wizard of Oz » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:09 pm

Phil you can be delightful when you need to be but giving me a heart attack is one of your less endearing features. Even if you were joking. Something like 5 hours to go before the Wallabies make their debut at this RWC. And JPR really needed a haircut.

WoZ at the TV
Post actions:

Post by Bobinwales » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:54 pm

It is half-time in the Australia/Fiji game... 18-3 ... it doesn't look as if Fiji are going to do Wales a favour.

Phil, your memories of JPR remind me of an incident about five years ago, I was at the Cwmtawe Sevens, JPR is the Hon President. I was in a queue for the porta-loos, there were about six of them, six blokes and one lady. I was next. Being the gentleman I suggested to the other men that she should go next. She thanked me. The door opened. JPR came out. The lady went in. If I had not been a gentleman I could have claimed for ever the proud boast that I had pissed in the same pot as JPR Williams.

This is THAT TRY. This was when England had a couple of men playing for Wales in Barbarian jerseys. Gareth Edwards, sorry, Sir Gareth Edwards went to the school where I am Vice-Chair of Governors. We are quite proud of him.

Now, back to the game.
Post actions:
Bob in Wales

Post by Wizard of Oz » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:55 am

Now Bob that is certainly a brush with fame. I wonder if the lady felt the same??

For some reason the Rugby links you keep posting are not available to us in the colonies. Maybe the RFU doesn't want us to learn too much about the game.

Not as convincing as I would've liked but a win at RWC is all that is needed. Disappointed about the lack of a bonus point but then Cheika wouldn't be the first coach to figure out that finishing second is more advantageous than finishing first. Trying to get the best draw going forward has been done before. So from the Pacific to the Atlantic coast for our next game. Uruguay has beaten Argentina so they have some form. No easy games in RWC anyway.

Bob your lot have beaten that lot last 3 out of 5 so time to kick some more pale butts of the rosey boys. And elsewhere I hope that Samoa can get their go forward together and sack, slaughter and subdue those japies.

WoZ in Rugby mode
Post actions:

Post by Bobinwales » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:50 pm

Try (pardon the pun) the You Tube version WoZ.
Post actions:
Bob in Wales

Post by Phil White » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:27 pm

What blows me away about that clip is the high and late tackle on JPR before the move started (around 23 seconds in). Would be sin-binned nowadays.
Post actions:
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Wizard of Oz » Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:40 am

YOU BLOODY RONNIE COOT!! Need I say more? On a show here in Aus they showed takes from different places in Wales, Ireland, Scotland as the game finished and everywhere they were screaming in celebration for the Scarlets. Popular win I would say.

Congrats Bob. Enjoy it while you can. Wallabies are hopping your way mate.

Just going to watch us play the Uraguaeans (?) Uraguayians (?) Uraguayese(?) Something like that.

Wallaby WoZ
Post actions:

Post by Bobinwales » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:58 pm

Huh, you had to show off and go top of the group! 65 points indeed!

I just hope we can find 15 players who will be fit enough to play Fiji. We have a lot of injuries. They might even be thinking of calling me up!
Post actions:
Bob in Wales

Post by Wizard of Oz » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:10 am

Bob I have always been led to believe that EVERY Welshman has one great song in him and one even greater game of Rugby. THIS is your time Bob. Don't waste it.

WoZ who has played his.
Post actions:

Post by Bobinwales » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:26 pm

Please WoZ, let us win!
Post actions:
Bob in Wales