Finger food for thought

This area has been established to allow you, our visitors and contributors, to get to know one another a bit better, or to discuss subjects of general interest, without feeling obliged to restrict your postings to language-related topics. But we draw the line at floccinaucinihilivilification.

Re: Finger food for thought

Post by Phil White » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:20 pm

And I do very much appreciate it, WoZ.

I now have almost half of chapter 1 behind me, which is not much, but even so... It is odd, despite the effort involved in deciphering the words, I am still taking in the meaning well, but I am also appreciating far smaller things about Adams' writing. I have always appreciated his wit and magnificent turns of phrase, but the construction of the sentences, the exact words he chooses, the repetitions, all sorts of things at a very low level are gripping me. The subtlety of when he calls his hero "Arthur" and when he calls him "Arthur Dent" are quite magical. Of course, it's easy to over-egg all that, and I will undoubtedly have as much joy from seeing how other authors achieve what they do, but I am enraptured by the conscious awareness of the fine detail in a good author's work.
Post actions:
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Phil White » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:01 pm

Sorry for resurrecting this one, but I see that three years have passed since the original post.

Having learned to read Braille, albeit slowly, and having read through a few dozen magazines, the Hitchhikers' Guide and a good few poems from an anthology I ordered, I gradually stopped reading Braille completely. Ultimately, I found that there was simply so little available that I really wanted to read. And, of course, the fact that libraries no longer hold Braille books. Instead, you have to order them online from the central Braille library.

I also moved away from the political involvement that had originally motivated me, so I just let it drop. For a couple of years. I am now politically engaged again and have decided to revisit Braille. To my surprise, the alphabet is still there, but some of the short forms and contractions are a bit hit and miss. And the speed is depressing! But if I invest a couple of thousand pounds in an embosser and the appropriate conversion software, I should be able to print out just about anything I want to read, although at £25 for a ream of Braille paper, I shall have to be parsimonious.

Maybe, just maybe someone will produce a Braille Kindle sometime. That would be nice! And no, the widely publicized Blitab Braille tablet is still not available, despite all the brave announcements of the past couple of years.

I hope that my second attempt is more worthwhile than the first!
Post actions:
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Bobinwales » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:07 pm

Welcome back to politics, although strangely enough, I am quietly retiring myself and by September of 2019 I plan to have no public life at all. As I remind people, I chaired my first meeting when I was 23 and in September next year I will be 72½. Feet up time.
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by tony h » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:38 am

Politics! When the subject here turns to politics I always feel I am in a Labour party social club as the only considered-Conservative. :)
Post actions:
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by Bobinwales » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:17 pm

We are not all Labour Tony. Some of us ride a Red Dragon waving a yellow poppy. :D :D
Post actions:
Bob in Wales

Post by BonnieL » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:38 am

Bobinwales wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:17 pm
We are not all Labour Tony. Some of us ride a Red Dragon waving a yellow poppy. :D :D
And that will have to be explained to Americans! :?
Post actions:

Post by tony h » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:47 am

BonnieL wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:38 am
Bobinwales wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:17 pm
And that will have to be explained to Americans! :?
The Red Dragon is the symbol of Wales (not a symbol of Welsh womanhood who are naturally dark haired).
The Yellow Poppy is the symbol of Plaid Cymru the/a nationalist political party in Wales with (I believe) a social-democratic agenda.

P.S. I am indebted to my better half for the information on the poppy. On voicing the question "What is the yellow poppy in Wales?" I received the response "Meconopsis Cambrica, but I think it is actually just a papaveraceae, not a poppy."
Post actions:

Post by Bobinwales » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:21 pm

Post actions:
Bob in Wales

Post by BonnieL » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:05 pm

Thanks! That's not the sort of history that's taught in public schools here.
Post actions:

Post by Phil White » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:47 pm

BonnieL wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:05 pm
Which raises another issue. In the UK, "public schools" are private schools. "State schools" are public schools. Go figure!
Post actions:
Non sum felix lepus

Post by trolley » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:18 pm

Phil White wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:47 pm
BonnieL wrote:
Which raises another issue. In the UK, "public schools" are private schools. "State schools" are public schools. Go figure!
...and yet, I believe you use the terms "private sector" and "public sector" in the same way as we do over here. If you work in the public sector you are employed by a state-run organization. If you work in the private sector you work for a privately owned organization (and likely make less money than your public sector counter part performing the exact same job).
Post actions:

Post by Phil White » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:48 pm

It apparently goes back to the 18th century. Some grammar schools had such a good reputation that people started paying for their children to board at the school. The term "public" contrasts with "local", not with "private".
Post actions:
Non sum felix lepus

Post by tony h » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:28 pm

Phil White wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:47 pm
BonnieL wrote:
Err, no.

State funded schools are state schools.

Traditionally:
- Public schools are fee paying schools to which anyone can apply to go.
- Private schools are fee paying schools to which pupils are only accepted from certain groups. The groups may be based on : parent's profession, beliefs etc. The distinction has become less clear as, for commercial reasons, the doors have tended to be opened to all.

Public and Private schools now tend to be called "independent schools".
Post actions:

Post by Phil White » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:35 pm

You misunderstand me, Tony. "State schools" (UK usage) are "public schools" (US usage). I was tongue-in-cheekly unclear.
Post actions:
Non sum felix lepus

Post by trolley » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:02 pm

It is is to be misunderstood when you speak with your tongue pressed against your cheek. No whub i mee?
Post actions: