In the eye.

This area has been established to allow you, our visitors and contributors, to get to know one another a bit better, or to discuss subjects of general interest, without feeling obliged to restrict your postings to language-related topics. But we draw the line at floccinaucinihilivilification.

In the eye.

Post by Bobinwales » Sun May 31, 2015 12:00 pm

There we were in the garden. Margaret had nagged asked me to help. She had assembled a pair of cloches and informed me that they worked like a kaleidoscope. I stood looking puzzled, but quietly offered, "Do you mean 'telescope?'".
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Re: In the eye.

Post by Erik_Kowal » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:16 am

I think you must both really have meant periscope. Or maybe stethoscope, or colonoscope. Basically, there's a lot of scope for (mis)interpretation.
Post actions:

Post by Wizard of Oz » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:47 am

.. Bob I am still none the wiser .. I looked up cloche and found lots of hats, they would look sweet on you .. bells, probably the ringing in the ears from to much nagging sound advice .. and covers for meals, if the veges don't grow then no meals to cover .. and unusually shaped green houses, maybe this is what your moiety means ?? .. or is it English or Welsh dialect for Hubble ??

WoZ wearing a smart cloche
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Bobinwales » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:56 am

This is a CLOCHE WoZ.
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Wizard of Oz » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:01 am

.. aha a mini-glasshouse .. or a portable rabbit hutch to move around the backyard so the pet rabbit mows the lawn for you ?? .. however as soon as I saw cloche I couldn't help but think of the 1972 BBC television serial based on the novel Clochemerle which was a great yarn about the decision to install a public urinal in the village square of a village in Beaujolais in France .. very very funny ..

WoZ cloching off
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

End of topic.