Thinking

This area has been established to allow you, our visitors and contributors, to get to know one another a bit better, or to discuss subjects of general interest, without feeling obliged to restrict your postings to language-related topics. But we draw the line at floccinaucinihilivilification.

Thinking

Post by Bobinwales » Thu May 21, 2015 9:51 am

Hello.

Is there anyone there?
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Re: Thinking

Post by trolley » Thu May 21, 2015 9:25 pm

Could it be that we've actually answered all the riddles, solved all the mysteries, unraveled all the enigmas? Maybe it's finished. On a side note, I wonder how accurate that counter at the bottom of the Index page is. It says that the most users online was 284 on Feb 14, 2014. That seems an awful lot...I've never noticed much more that about 25 at any given time. I can't see last Valentine's day being that much of a factor...
Post actions:

Post by Erik_Kowal » Fri May 22, 2015 4:23 am

Checking the admin log for February 2014, I can see there was quite a lot of spamming of the site in the early part of last year. So I suspect that the user count for 14 February mainly reflects spambot/spammer activity, not genuine participation... Or do you sometimes sign in with more IDs than you've been willing to admit to here, John/trolley? :-)
Post actions:

Post by Ken Greenwald » Fri May 22, 2015 4:29 am

aaa
John, There still may be a few we missed - doubtful but not likely. As for those 284 users in one day there is another simple explanation. It was due to an SEU (Single Event Upset - See Wikipedia ). A stray cosmic ray (high-energy radiation) went whizzing through the responsible chip and puff — there you have it, 284 users.

Ken – May 21, 2015
Post actions:

Post by Wizard of Oz » Fri May 22, 2015 8:35 am

.. Ken can I get one of those SEUs, those stray cosmic rays, to go whizzing through the chip that controls my bank account and puff >> $284 or maybe more if it whizzes slowly ..

WoZ who always needs money
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sat May 23, 2015 8:06 am

Another possibility is that the SEU (Single Event Upset) which Ken referenced was really a stray cosmic ray that momentarily caused one vowel to transform into another, thereby generating an unexpected — albeit brief — SEO (Search Engine Optimization) event which brought a host of new visitors to the site.
Post actions:

End of topic.