Welsh secret

This area has been established to allow you, our visitors and contributors, to get to know one another a bit better, or to discuss subjects of general interest, without feeling obliged to restrict your postings to language-related topics. But we draw the line at floccinaucinihilivilification.

Welsh secret

Post by Wizard of Oz » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:48 am

.. Bob I recently read that a local church was going to present a GYMANFA GANU .. am I correct in thinking that this might be some kind of Welsh da Vinci code rite ?? .. or is it just a code word for a piss-up ?? .. either way it intrigued me ..

monolingual WoZ
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Re: Welsh secret

Post by Bobinwales » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:08 pm

Hardly WoZ.
GYMANFA GANU translates as "Congregation Singing". It is an excuse to spend an evening singing hymns.

Welsh chapel harmony is quite rightly world renowned. I only hear it at funerals now because as I don't have a faith, I feel quite hypocritical in churches and chapels.
Last edited by Bobinwales on Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Wizard of Oz » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:17 pm

.. hmmmm ..*WoZ tears up ad* .. must be a good knees up somewhere .. and yes I do agree that the Welsh do have a universal melodic bent .. Stella says that it has to do with the alignment of the welsh jaw .. and she's Welsh so she would know .. ;-]

WoZ humming
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Shelley » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:49 pm

Wizard of Oz wrote: .. Stella says that it has to do with the alignment of the welsh jaw ..
. . . you mean, their rare bite? (Buh dum bah!)
Post actions:

Post by trolley » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:53 am

So cheesy.
Post actions:

Post by tony h » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:52 am

Bobinwales wrote:Welsh chapel harmony is quite rightly world renowned. I only hear it at funerals now because as I don't have a faith, I feel quite hypocritical in churches and chapels.
We had a family friend, a Welsh vicar, and I remember him saying that as a boy in the 1920s he lived in India and he was very taken with the philosophy of Hinduism but the music wasn't good enough to commit your life to it.

Bob: you shouldn't let faith, or an absence of it, get in the way of enjoying a good sing song.
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

Post by Bobinwales » Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:40 pm

Last week I conducted the cremation service of an old friend. It was one of the most difficult jobs that I have ever done. We finished by singing Calon Lan. Although it is a hymn, the first two verses and the chorus are quite secular, so I usually sing them and stand respectfully during the third verse, joining in with the chorus again. There was no way that I could sing when we said goodbye to Neal, so I just stood and listened knowing that after it was finished I had some words to say before pressing the button.

This is a lovely version of Calon Lan. I have to admit that not many chapel congregations would sing the descant after the key-change, but it gives you an idea of what we can do.

Here are the words in Welsh and English.
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by tony h » Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:41 pm

Emotional.
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

Post by Wizard of Oz » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:14 pm

I enjoyed that Bob.

WoZ who loves choirs
Post actions:

End of topic.