Bob the Boaster

This area has been established to allow you, our visitors and contributors, to get to know one another a bit better, or to discuss subjects of general interest, without feeling obliged to restrict your postings to language-related topics. But we draw the line at floccinaucinihilivilification.

Bob the Boaster

Post by Wizard of Oz » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:04 am

.. ok ok so you won the Rugby against Ireland AND in doing so slipped one above the Horriblies on the International rankings .. enjoy enjoy ..

WoZ giving deep bow
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Re: Bob the Boaster

Post by Bobinwales » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:33 pm

They should not have let Italy score that last try. I said that it would haunt us. I was in the pub. I had to have another pint.
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Wizard of Oz » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:05 am

.. have it recorded but will watch it maybe tonight .. I read the wash-up with regard to the 6 Nations final placings .. at least the wilted roses didn't win it !!!

.. I am aghast at Aussie scrummaging .. we just don't have the ability to hold the frontrow up .. I could go into all the technical aspects of why but suffice to say that it is faulty technique that is apparent .. the Waratahs have employed an Argentinian scrum coach and that i, unfortunately, a step in the right direction .. I say unfortunately as I always believe in coaching your own ..but modern times and they do know how to scrummage ..

WoZ in the engine room
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Bobinwales » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:19 pm

I have always found that what goes on in the front row a total mystery! I was a winger in the days when nobody ever gave us the ball except when we had to throw it in at a line-out. Having said that, what is happening now is beyond all common sense. Players have been scrummaging for a couple of hundred years, so finding out why it goes wrong every flaming time now could make someone a lot of money.
Post actions:
Bob in Wales

Post by tony h » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:17 pm

Bobinwales wrote:I have always found that what goes on in the front row a total mystery!
I was a prop and it is still a mystery !
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

Post by Wizard of Oz » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:29 am

.. gracious me Bob >> ... except when we had to throw it in at a line-out .. how time flies when new ideas arrive .. we forwards realised that this aspect of the game did in fact allow a "back" to touch the ball and so developed the necessity for hookers to throw the ball in thus keeping it all in the boys' club and allowing wingers more time to fix their lippy ..

.. and just returning to the original thought it is true to say that there are now players who have played out their time and retired without ever knowing that wingers once threw in the ball .. sad really ..

.. now tony .. about the goings on in the engine room ...........

WoZ who suffered le petit mort during scrummaging
Post actions:

Post by Bobinwales » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:56 pm

One of those daft questions that crop up when aficionados get together.

How can you score a try without setting foot on the field of play?
And we are talking Rugby Union here.
Post actions:
Bob in Wales

Post by Wizard of Oz » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:32 pm

.. Team A is attacking, Team W is defending
.. a player on Team A hacks the ball forward towards Team Ws in-goal
.. as he hacks the ball forward player A1 is bumped into touch
.. the ball rolls into Team Ws in-goal where it comes to rest
.. player A1, who has been bumped into touch, follows up running forward in-touch
.. player A1 wins the race for the ball and reaches from touch in-goal and grounds the ball
.. try scored

WoZ the winger
Post actions:

Post by Bobinwales » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:04 pm

Nearly Woz, but your scorer was on the field of play when he got bumped off it.
Post actions:
Bob in Wales

Post by Wizard of Oz » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:59 pm

.. Bob am away at workshops .. Will need more attention when I return ..

WoZ printing and versalling
Post actions:

Post by Wizard of Oz » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:45 am

.. Bob this has me stumped for any player must take the field of play before he can participate in the game .. this is so at the beginning of a game, if he is substituting for a player, if he is returning from the sin bin, if he is returning from the blood bin .. I cannot think of any time when a player can legally be in the game and not have set foot on the field of play .. unless of course it is one of those mensa style answers where the player walked onto the field on his hands and thereby did not set "foot" on the field of play ..

.. will be interested to see the answer .. oh and I just remembered that at the old Arms Park the field of play was known as the Hallowed Turf so maybe the answer is of that nature ??

WoZ head in Law book
Post actions:

Post by Bobinwales » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:37 pm

The player is a replacement hooker. His first job is to throw in at a line-out. He runs down the out-of-play side of the touch-line, runs around the corner flag and touches down a loose ball.

Naturally, it can never, ever happen.
Post actions:
Bob in Wales

Post by Wizard of Oz » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:48 am

.. yes Bob .. I will keep an eye open for that play this season .. could be a match winner .. *grin* .. remember too that he doesn't have to run around the corner flag .. he can actually reach from touch-in-goal and ground the ball for a try ..

Law 22.4(g) Player in touch or touch-in-goal. If an attacking player is in touch or in touch-in-goal, the player can score a try by grounding the ball in the opponents’ in-goal provided the player is not carrying the ball.

WoZ the try scoring a try machine
Post actions:

Post by Bobinwales » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:35 pm

I didn't know that WoZ. It is a strange law. As a referee, have you ever given such a try?
Post actions:
Bob in Wales

Post by Wizard of Oz » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:29 am

.. only the once Bob .. and after nearly being lynched I made a mental margin note in my Law book to always consider other options of less life threatening outcome ..

.. it was a typical case .. a ball was toed through and several players, of both persuasions, converged towards the ball as it rolled wobblefully toward the in-goal .. as the ball, oblivious of the pending storm that was about to descend, crossed into the in-goal all hell broke loose with said players, of both persuasions, colliding in their eagerness and playful mood to be the first to touch the ball .. ALL MISSED!! .. bodies were blasted in all directions, remembering this is old Law where one could approach the ball from any direction without the modern necessity of passing through some theoretical gate .. remembering too that in those manly days the idea of solid body contact was at the forefront of players, numbered from 1 to 8, minds .. as the dust cleared, yes Bob we are playing in Australia where turf is shared on a week about basis between several grounds and it wasn't this grounds turn, the inflated object known locally as the ball rested on its side waiting to be caressed as is the want of Rugby balls the world over .. waiting to be included and it was at this moment, with my good whistle blowing self in attendance, that one body attired in the colours of the attacking team, and lying where he had landed after being bulldozed into touch-in-goal by a defending behemoth No 8 .. whose only thought had been to push all players from both sides, corner flag, touch judge, ball and anything else in his way into the front tiers of the grandstand .. thought to place his free, unbroken arm, with downward pressure upon the ball .. *switch to slow motion replay* .. looking in amazement through the dust I consulted my mind stored copy of The Laws of Rugby Football .. I checked to see if the touch judge had any helpful advice, this was difficult as he was flat on his back underneath the aforementioned No 8, then with great decisiveness and without a thought for my present or future personal safety I raised my Acme Thunderer to my lips , strode to the spot, faced the field of play, raised my arm and blew the carrion call of Rugby Referees across the park .. never have I heard, then or since, such silence follow the blowing of a referee's whistle .. *switch back to full speed replay* .. to put it mildly a scene reminiscent of Dante's Inferno then ensued with your good referee quickly finding himself rather quickly descending to the Ninth Circle (Treachery) with only quick stops at the 6th (Heresy) and 8th (Fraud) Circles .. but the decision remained, the attempt was missed and at the after match function many discussions were provoked leading to long sessions well into the next morning fuelled only in the dying hours by, as I recall, Bundaberg rum ..

.. to this day Bob I have never been able to establish whether the player who was awarded the try actually meant to place his hand on the ball or whether it just fell that way as he sort to get his face out of the dirt .. he of course has always maintained that that he was the only player to understand the Law and have the presence of mind to react in a positive manner and score .. but that is just what you would expect from a hooker ..

WoZ hearing a blast from the past

PS If any of your mates a the local don't believe this recounting then .. too bad .. read about in it Monday's newspaper.
Post actions: