Dydd Gŵyl Dewi

This area has been established to allow you, our visitors and contributors, to get to know one another a bit better, or to discuss subjects of general interest, without feeling obliged to restrict your postings to language-related topics. But we draw the line at floccinaucinihilivilification.

Dydd Gŵyl Dewi

Post by Bobinwales » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:10 pm

Today is St David's Day, the national day of Wales.

For those of you with Welsh blood, Dydd Gŵyl Dewi Hapus.

For those of you without, enjoy the day anyway.
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Re: Dydd Gŵyl Dewi

Post by tony h » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:52 am

I hope it was a good one
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

Post by Bobinwales » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:51 pm

Thank you Tony. Yes, it was very pleasant, especially after beating France the day before!

Personally, I find having St David's Day on a weekend spoils it a bit. The schools have their eisteddfodau on the Friday, and a lot of the children don't wear national dress then, which is a shame.
Post actions:
Bob in Wales

Post by tony h » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:49 pm

I did assume that it had been. But your reply raises two interesting questions:

1. who do the French enjoy beating? Or have they not had that experience?

2. How does National Dress originate? Especially with women. Most women I know seem to go to extraordinary lengths to ensure they are not dressed the same but here is a case when they all do and across the generations!
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

Post by Wizard of Oz » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:45 am

.. Tony in Rugby the ancient enemy, England, is still the team Les Bleus love to beat .. then again every Rugby team enjoys England being beaten and it doesn't matter by whom .. the colonial heritage of the major Rugby nations ensures that there is no love lost when England is the opposition .. and that goes for any sport .. recently when the Kiwis thrashed England in the Cricket World Cup an ad appeared in the paper .. it showed a picture of two cricket balls lying side-by-side .. the ad read, "LOST .. two balls. If found please return to England Cricket Team." .. wonderful ..

WoZ who enjoys beating anybody
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Wizard of Oz » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:48 am

.. Bob I did enjoy my name day .. and each year now when it rolls around I remember the St David's Day we all spent together ..

St David WoZ
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Bobinwales » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:38 pm

When I pinned my leek on on Friday (I was judge in the school's Eisteddfod), I did wonder whether you and Rhonda would be wearing the badges I gave you with the Australian and Welsh flags TWO years ago. Two years, where does the time go?
Post actions:
Bob in Wales

Post by Bobinwales » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:45 pm

tony h wrote: How does National Dress originate? Especially with women. Most women I know seem to go to extraordinary lengths to ensure they are not dressed the same but here is a case when they all do and across the generations!
Have a look HERE Tony.

There is mention at the bottom of carrying babies "Welsh Fashion". I have to say that it is a very much a dying practice, to the extent that it gets remarked upon on the rare occasions that we see it.
Post actions:
Bob in Wales

End of topic.