Obscene words on TV

This area has been established to allow you, our visitors and contributors, to get to know one another a bit better, or to discuss subjects of general interest, without feeling obliged to restrict your postings to language-related topics. But we draw the line at floccinaucinihilivilification.

Obscene words on TV

Post by Phil White » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:19 pm

Most of you guys know me pretty well by now. Whatever else I may or may not be, I reckon I'm pretty cool about language change. And if you have had the dubious privilege of actually speaking to me, you will know that I'm not averse to using what is regarded as obscene language.

And I love good comedy.

But recently, I have found myself becoming seriously pissed off with the amount of "obscene language" I hear on mainstream TV comedy shows in the UK, whether it be panel shows or standup.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not one of those who think that swearing is a sign of a poor vocabulary. That argument is simply untenable bollocks. Neither am I upset by the sexual or blasphemous connotations of the words. That's why they are effective and "dangerous".

But something has nevertheless annoyed me recently. And it crossed my mind last night what it was. It is not the fact that the perpetrators are using the words, but rather that they are merely using them to attain a little street-cred. And in many cases, they sound entirely unconvincing. Simply put there to persuade us how cool the artist is. I often get the impression that they simply do not know how to use language like that.

Merely an observation on my part.

Well, actually, it is more of an excuse to post a link to this little bit of genius (as far as I can see, the original) and to an even better revisiting. Now that's fun.

Pity, we don't really know Carlin's work over in the UK.
Post actions:
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Re: Obscene words on TV

Post by tony h » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:20 pm

I agree. Although I found your piece a bit difficult to read because of the language.

So many programmes that I think would have been family entertainment are not because of the language. Mind you, it saves on electricity.
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

Post by Sniegson » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:12 pm

I think exactly the same, that's way I don't like watch TV beacause theres a lot bad thing there and annoying ads, and when I want to watch some good movie I buy it on DVD
Post actions:

Post by Wizard of Oz » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:04 am

,, Snigo that's 3 posts .. what now ???

Sceptical WoZ
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

End of topic.