Holding your breath

This area has been established to allow you, our visitors and contributors, to get to know one another a bit better, or to discuss subjects of general interest, without feeling obliged to restrict your postings to language-related topics. But we draw the line at floccinaucinihilivilification.

Holding your breath

Post by Wizard of Oz » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:59 am

.. on Saturday my granddaughter, Emma, held her breath as we drove past a cemetery .. I queried this and she assured me that it was to prevent her breathing in the dead souls left wandering in the cemetery ..

.. has anybody come across this superstition ??

WoZ left wondering not wandering
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Re: Holding your breath

Post by Erik_Kowal » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:03 am

It's a vast plot to discourage inspiration.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Bobinwales » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:36 am

I haven't come across that one WoZ, but last Friday I was compère at a concert held in the local church. This is Wales, so we had a children's choir. In the interval a toilet break was essential, and the toilet was outside. And outside was the graveyard. It was dark. The verger had to go with them to make sure the ghosts didn't get them. The poor man was out there for 20 minutes.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Phil White » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:25 pm

From hunting around the Web, I found a few hits for the concept, but hardly widespread:
http://www.ci.missoula.mt.us/DocumentCe ... /View/8206

There even appears to be a film based on the superstition:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hold_Your_ ... %28film%29

New one on me, though.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by hsargent » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:33 pm

Only somewhat related, a church in town asked for a permit to build a centerarium (sorry for the spelling) where ashes could be deposited. The local realtors signed a petition against it because they would have to inform potential clients close to the church about the burial site. It was approved by the city but the superstition level was a surprise.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Harry Sargent

Post by trolley » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:52 pm

...not to mention all the noise complaints about the constant whistling...
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Wizard of Oz » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:11 am

.. Phil your first link is interesting reading .. it makes the need for high security around funerals a consideration .. scare away the crows, don't stop on the way, keep pregnant women off the grave, decide who can stand in the grave to cure their ills and the list goes on .. and on ........

WoZ at the wake
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC