Stella of Pontyberry

This area has been established to allow you, our visitors and contributors, to get to know one another a bit better, or to discuss subjects of general interest, without feeling obliged to restrict your postings to language-related topics. But we draw the line at floccinaucinihilivilification.

Stella of Pontyberry

Post by Wizard of Oz » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:52 am

.. I searched but didn't find anything but i was sure I spoke of this TV series, Stella, when the first series was being shown .. but not to worry .. Bob I love this show and the second series continues to deliver .. it helps to undo all the crap that the "reality" show The Valleys generated .. I often expect to see you Bob turn up as The Marriage Man in some scene or other .. the lead character, Stella, reminds me so much of Brenda from Dinner Ladies an earlier sit-com set in Manchester, .. that same gritty practicality, an underlying mature sexiness and a never let it get you down attitude .. all the characters are believable and often somebody you can identify from your own experience .. there is of course allowance for the comedy element to be overstated in each character ..

.. the other common factor is that the person who wrote the series, or co-wrote, plays the lead role .. Victoria Wood in Dinner Ladies and Ruth Jones in Stella .. I always believe that this allows a more personal connection between the person and the role .. it brings a natural feel that boosts the local knowledge and gives expression in tying the character to the locality .. but all that aside this is just a bloody good romp ..

.. I see that Series 3 is already in the pipeline .. bring it on ..

Dai WoZ
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Re: Stella of Pontyberry

Post by Bobinwales » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:33 am

Ah well WoZ, when you are married to a lady who only needs another 'd' to be Welsh you have to like the place (Rhonda would be Rhondda).

You are right that I have not been in the series, but Margaret's son, Geraint, was filmed as a bus passenger in one episode. Unfortunately, the scene ended up on the cutting-room floor. He still got paid though...

I am on the books of an extras' agency myself, so keep watching you never know they may need a fat old man with a white beard. Christmas is coming, a red coat and a pair of boots?!
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Wizard of Oz » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:59 am

.. thank god Bob it looks like the Rugby Club is going to be saved !!!

WoZ waiting for next Thursday night
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Bobinwales » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:21 pm

As this seems to raised its head again. I have now actually been in a couple of scenes. One of which required me to sit on a bench for an hour or so with a bloke I got to know quite well! Acting is such hard work.
The new series hasn't been released yet, but I will give you a shout when I know the name of the episode.
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Wizard of Oz » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:32 am

Bob for a BAFTA, Bob for a BAFTA, Bob for a BAFTA. Get the campaign going now mate.

WoZ who can't wait
Post actions:

End of topic.