a year spent

This area has been established to allow you, our visitors and contributors, to get to know one another a bit better, or to discuss subjects of general interest, without feeling obliged to restrict your postings to language-related topics. But we draw the line at floccinaucinihilivilification.

a year spent

Post by dante » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:00 pm

This gets boring. I have to throw away another calendar. I really think it is about time to update the way we count the time. It is annoying to be reminded so soon that another chunk of your life is spent, especially when you take a look at the synonyms for "spend" in Oxford thesaurus:

1.pay out, dish out, expend, disburse, squander, waste, fritter away, lavish; informal: fork out, lay out, shell out, cough up, blow, splash out, splurge; Brit.informal: stump up, blue; N.Amer.informal:pony up.. 4. use up, consume, exhaust, deplete, drain

By the way, this list nicely illustrates that thesaurus definitions should be used carefully. I mean, the collocation "cough up a year" would sound odd unless Doc Holliday is the subject of course. With Doc it makes complete sense:

Doc Holliday coughed up one more year.

And the correct answer for 42 is c) http://www.brownielocks.com/wildwest.html
Post actions:

End of topic.