Good Quotes

This area has been established to allow you, our visitors and contributors, to get to know one another a bit better, or to discuss subjects of general interest, without feeling obliged to restrict your postings to language-related topics. But we draw the line at floccinaucinihilivilification.

Re: Good Quotes

Post by Ken Greenwald » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:53 pm

aaa
A wakeboard might help!

Ken – November 9, 2012
Post actions:

Post by Ken Greenwald » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:59 pm

aaa
Bumper Sticker: Radioactive cats have 18 half-lives.

Ken – February 12, 2013
Post actions:

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:04 am

Cat's whisker detectors were once widely used in wireless sets, which is no doubt the reason radioactive cats were once so common.
Post actions:

Post by John Barton » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:01 am

“Wanting to reform the world without discovering one's true self is like trying to cover the world with leather to avoid the pain of walking on stones and thorns. It is much simpler to wear shoes.” - Ramana Maharshi
Post actions:
Signature: John Barton, New Plymouth, New Zealand
http://www.freewebs.com/caliban5/

Post by Wizard of Oz » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:19 am

.. Ken a very topical quote for one of our cats, Chi Chi .. she has a hyperactive thyroid and the treatment is to inject her with radioactive iodine .. we joked she would glow in the dark but had not considered her 9 lives ..

WoZ out of pocket $1800
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by tony h » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:41 pm

Wizard of Oz wrote:.. Ken a very topical quote for one of our cats, Chi Chi .. she has a hyperactive thyroid and the treatment is to inject her with radioactive iodine .. we joked she would glow in the dark but had not considered her 9 lives ..

WoZ out of pocket $1800
Blooming heck! Faced with that sort of bill my cat would now be a very fine hat.
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

Post by Wizard of Oz » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:28 am

.. just so long as you don't turn her into a Lincolnshire sausage or a Stuffed Chine ..

WoZ at table
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Ken Greenwald » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:58 am

aaa
When everything is coming your way, you’re in the wrong lane.—Comedian Stephen Wright (1955- )

Ken – June 25, 2013
Post actions:

Post by Ken Greenwald » Sat May 10, 2014 5:27 am

aaa
<2014 “Comedy does give good value. There are so many discouraging facts around—e.g., half of all people are below average—and jokes relieve some of the misery.”—excerpted from the The Keillor Reader (May 2014) by Garrison Keillor, in The AARP Bulletin, May, Vol.55, No.4, page 40> [[AARP = American Association of Retired Persons.]]

Ken – May 9, 2014
Post actions:

Post by Ken Greenwald » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:38 am

aaa
“Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason” by Jerry Seinfeld
I saw this quote a few weeks ago in The Week Magazine Wit & Wisdom column and thought it was a good one. But for the life of me I can’t find that issue. So, I Googled it and there it was in goodreads.com.

Ken – August 25, 2015
Post actions:

Post by Ken Greenwald » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:59 am

aaa
I’m surprised I never heard this one before. It’s a good one.
What we have learned from history is that we haven’t learned from history.—Benjamin Disraeli, quoted in TheStreet.com

Ken — September 1, 2015
Post actions:

Post by Wizard of Oz » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:11 am

"War is god's way of teaching Americans geography."
Ambrose Bierce
OK, OK so before you tell me I do realise there is some contention about Bierce saying this but whoever said it , it has a certain ring of truth.

WoZ reading war of the worlds as geography
Post actions:

Post by Bobinwales » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:50 am

I also like Benjamin Disraeli's quote which is as true today as it was when he said it.
"Not everything you read on the Internet is accurate. Sometimes it is not even factual".
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by tony h » Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:17 pm

A line from the radio this morning:

"Although we had just met, I knew he was going to be a friend for life. The only question was : how long was that life going to be?"
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:34 pm

tony h wrote: "Although we had just met, I knew he was going to be a friend for life. The only question was : how long was that life going to be?"
The other question is, whose life?
Post actions: