Good Quotes

This area has been established to allow you, our visitors and contributors, to get to know one another a bit better, or to discuss subjects of general interest, without feeling obliged to restrict your postings to language-related topics. But we draw the line at floccinaucinihilivilification.

Re: Good Quotes

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:01 pm

Wonderful.
Post actions:

Post by Ken Greenwald » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:22 pm

aaa
In a candid moment Woody Allen admitted the following:
I don’t want to achieve immortality through my work; I want to achieve it by not dying.

Ken – March 31, 2012
Post actions:

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:27 pm

I remember the one about W C Fields, surprised reading the Bible.

On being asked, "What ARE you doing!?" he answered:

"Looking for loopholes."

It's a nice definition of Godless religion - trying to help (/catch) God out rather than asking for help.
Post actions:

Post by Bobinwales » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:04 pm

Education is what survives when what has been learned has been forgotten.
B F Skinner (1904 - 1990) philosopher and poet.
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Ken Greenwald » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:56 pm

aaa
A study of economics usually reveals that the best time to buy anything is last year.—Comedian and actor Marty Allen (1922- )

The truth will set you free. But first it will piss you off.— Feminist, journalist, and social and political activist Gloria Steinem (1934- )

Ken – April 15, 2012
Post actions:

Post by Ken Greenwald » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:50 am

aaa
<2012 “We have entered the age of quantum politics; and Mitt Romney is the first quantum politician. In much the same way that light is both a particle and a wave, Mitt Romney is both a moderate and a conservative. It is not that he is one or the other; it is not that he is one and then the other. He is both at the same time.”—in The Week by David Javerbaum of The New York Times, 13 April, page 14>

Ken G – April 17, 2012
Post actions:

Post by Erik_Kowal » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:23 am

A very nice conceit. :-)

Not only can Mitt Romney be said to be simultaneously moderate and conservative, but just as Erwin Schrödinger's unfortunate cat was neither living nor dead in its box, when the polls close in November Romney will be both politically alive and dead at the same time -- at least until the ballot boxes have been opened and the votes have all been counted.

My hope is that he eventually emerges from his electoral ordeal more dead than alive.

Fortunately, he is already showing considerable promise in this regard.
Post actions:
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by Ken Greenwald » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:51 pm

aaa
Hanlon's Razor is an eponymous adage:
<1980 “Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”— Murphy's Law Book Two, More Reasons Why Things Go Wrong by R. J. Hanlon>
The name was inspired by Occam's razor (also called law of economy, or law of parsimony), which is often phrased as, “Choose the simplest explanation that fits the facts.”

Ken – June 23, 2012
Post actions:

Post by Ken Greenwald » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:00 pm

aaa
Parents are not interested in justice. They’re interested in peace and quiet.—Comedian, actor, . . . Bill Cosby (1937- )

Ken – June 24, 2012
Post actions:

Post by elview » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:12 am

Thank you for the good Jefferson quote. It wasn't one I had in my collection! Here's one of my favorites, which is timely for today's political mood:

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.
- Thomas Jefferson
Post actions:

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:40 pm

Like collecting taxes?
Post actions:

Post by elview » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:58 pm

Edwin F Ashworth wrote:Like collecting taxes?
Like the Supreme Court's decision that purchasing health insurance is a tax. I have never resented paying taxes. Even as a young person I had to pay my social security tax and state income tax. When we were in very bad shape financially in the 1980's we still had to pay property taxes, but I knew those went for important things like schools. Taxes are just part of life and when you do better financially you pay more, just as you also give more to charity or your church if that's your desire.

The recent decision is going to be a HUGE change-maker in our country for years to come. There are already many pacifists who resent paying taxes to support the military, and fundamentalists who protest taxpayer-funded abortions. Defining the personal purchase of health insurance as a tax broadens the definition of tax and the lawyers will be having fun with it for years to come!
Post actions:
Signature: elview
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." ~ Winston Churchill

Post by Ken Greenwald » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:14 am

aaa
My rule is, if it flies, floats, or fornicates rent it. It is cheaper in the long run.”—Felix Dennis (1947- ), British publisher, poet, and philanthropist.

Start every day with a smile and get it over with.—W. C. Fields (1880-1946), comedian and actor.

Ken – October 30, 2012
Post actions:

Post by Conspiculator » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:29 pm

"Will we wake up tomorrow as the same persons as this morning?
I hope not."
-Steven Baeten (unknown belgian)
Post actions:

Post by Wizard of Oz » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:10 pm

.. which is akin to >>

"Only the dawn will see if I wake up." (WoZ)
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."