Good Quotes

This area has been established to allow you, our visitors and contributors, to get to know one another a bit better, or to discuss subjects of general interest, without feeling obliged to restrict your postings to language-related topics. But we draw the line at floccinaucinihilivilification.

Re: Good Quotes

Post by Ken Greenwald » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:19 am

aaa
When will it end?
Even if accused terrorists are U.S. citizens or legal residents, the Senate bill . . . would abrogate the right to a fair trial ‘until the end of hostilities.’ The hostilities in the war on terrorism, of course, will ‘end the Wednesday after never.’”—The Week, 16 December, page 18> [[from Spencer Ackerman, 1 December, wired.com]]

Ken – January 10, 2012
Post actions:

Post by Erik_Kowal » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:20 am

The only place I could find that quote online (in a rewritten version of the article) was here.

I'm no lawyer, but this proposed legislation seems prima facie to breach the 5th, 6th and 7th amendments to the US Constitution contained in the Bill of Rights. As such, I would expect (and hope) that if it is enacted, the Supreme Court would eventually strike down that provision as being unconstitutional.
Post actions:
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by Ken Greenwald » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:56 pm

aaa
“When all else fails, men turn to reason.”—Israeli diplomat Abba Eban (1915-2002)
Don’t we wish! If this patently false statement were true, among other things, it could do wonders for current American politics.

Ken – January 12, 2012
Post actions:

Post by Ken Greenwald » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:55 pm

aaa
A well-adjusted person is one who makes the same mistake twice without getting nervous.”—Alexander Hamilton (1755-1804) [[well-adjusted, but not well-regarded]]

Ken – January 22, 2011
Post actions:

Post by Shelley » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:59 pm

If you go home with somebody, and they don't have any books, don't fuck 'em!
-- John Waters (American Film Director)
Post actions:

Post by Wizard of Oz » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:47 am

.. I dedicate this to Edwin >>>
My love for you is more / Athletic than a verb.
Sylvia Plath
WoZ
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Ken Greenwald » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:34 pm

aaa
While reading David Mitchell’s The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet, page 114, I just came across the interesting saying, “It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.” In the book, which takes place in Japan at the turn of the 19th century, Jacob de Zoet is asked by his Japanese associates to explain some English words and phrases they are having trouble understanding, and this was one of them.

I had never heard the expression before, but with about 140,000 Google hits (at my space-time coordinates) it is not unheard of. When I tracked it down it turned out to be from a Thomas Jefferson quote. Jefferson was not a believer in a traditional God, but has been described as a deist – belief in the existence of a God on the evidence of reason and nature only, with rejection of supernatural revelation (distinguished from theism). In his The Life and Morals of Jesus of Nazareth (1804) or as it is now called The Jeffersonian Bible (114 pages), he copied the text of the four Gospels (Mathew, Mark, Luke and John) and eliminated all references to the mystic and miraculous (virgin birth, etc,) – which gives one an idea of his thinking on religion.

His exact quote gives one a further insight into his views of religious tolerance and the role of government:
<1804 “The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.”—Notes on the State of Virginia (1781-1783) by Thomas Jefferson>
IT NEITHER PICKS MY POCKET NOR BREAKS MY LEG: It does me no harm.

I don’t know anything about Glen Beck, other than that he is a conservative radio and TV host, so when I was looking for quotes I was surprised to come up with this, which points to the fact that he is definitely no social conservative:
<2011 “‘Do you believe gay marriage is a threat to the country in any way?’ O'Reilly asked. ‘"A threat to the country? No, I don't,’ Beck said, laughing, adding mockingly, ‘Will the gays come and get us?’ Beck quoted Thomas Jefferson: ‘If it neither breaks my leg nor picks my pocket, what difference is it to me?’”—Huffington Post, 25 May> [[Beck’s paraphrase]]

Ken – February 12, 2012
Post actions:

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:07 pm

Whatever it is, it is a construction to be emulated only by writers who enjoy dispensing confusion and ambiguity to their readers.

(Erik Kowal)

(commenting on a work by D Leslie rather than one of my more whimsical postings)

(though it works for politicians too)
Post actions:

Post by Ken Greenwald » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:22 am

aaa
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem.—Woody Allen (1935- )

Chastity–the most unnatural of all the sexual perversions.—Aldous Huxley (1894-1963)

Ken – March 1, 2012
Post actions:

Post by Erik_Kowal » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:16 am

The first of those reminds me of a few anonymous observations:

"I don't have a solution, but I admire the problem".

"For every idiotproof system devised, a new, improved idiot will emerge to overcome it".

"Every time you open your mouth, some idiot starts talking".
Post actions:

Post by Wizard of Oz » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:06 am

.. I am not sure if this is actually a quote in the true sense but I just found it delightful ..
"There are two pips in a beaut, four beauts in a lulu,
eight lulus in a doozy and sixteen doozies in a humdinger.

No one knows how many humdingers there are in a lollapalooza."
WoZ thinking lollapalooza
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:23 am

The trend in that cute little progression suggests an exchange rate of 32 humdingers to one lollapalooza.
Post actions:

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:50 pm

I don't understand modern music.
Post actions:

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:01 pm

In that case, you probably haven't heard of this.

Help is all around, Edwin. You only have to ask.
Post actions:

Post by Ken Greenwald » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:03 am

aaa
Nothing is more responsible for the good old days than a bad memory.—Journalist Franklin Pierce Adams (1881-1960)

The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it’s unfamiliar territory.—Actor Paul Fix (1901-1983)

Ken – March 27, 2012
Post actions: