Didn't match the description

This area has been established to allow you, our visitors and contributors, to get to know one another a bit better, or to discuss subjects of general interest, without feeling obliged to restrict your postings to language-related topics. But we draw the line at floccinaucinihilivilification.

Didn't match the description

Post by dante » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:58 am

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/ar ... 3e6af7.311 What a horrendous country really. A guy was hanged for claiming to be God?
He didn't match the description of God obviously - beard didn't even remotely resemble God's or he couldn't offer any substantial proof of his identity or whatever.
I wonder if he was given a chance to defend himself. A chance to pass some test for his Godliness, or it was a death penalty out of a cuff.

I'm sure that despicable, beastly, murderous bastards who ordered this and all those who support them will have a VIP lounge in Hell, with the fire underneath twice the size of Olympic flame.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Didn't match the description

Post by russcable » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:04 pm

dante wrote:A guy was hanged for claiming to be God?
He didn't match the description of God obviously - beard didn't even remotely resemble God's or he couldn't offer any substantial proof of his identity or whatever.
I think I read this in a book somewhere.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by dante » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:21 pm

The news is less than a day old so the book is hardly about the same guy. The man possibly had been in jail for a while before he was hanged though.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Bobinwales » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:26 pm

I think that Russ was talking about a book that was written about two thousand years ago.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Erik_Kowal » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:27 pm

I think Russ may have had a certain very old book in mind....
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by dante » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:34 pm

I misinterpreted russcable's writing obviously :( Now I understand it, the analogy is very much to the point. I hope that this poor guy will be the last one who was killed by those lunatics there.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by russcable » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:25 pm

...and corruption. ...
... and had succeeded in gathering around him young Arabs from Khuzestan province," which has a large Arab minority
I don't know any more of the story than that those three sentences, but he seems to have been doing more than being quietly crazy in the corner. He seems to have been fomenting some anti-government sentiment among his followers just like that other person. (Of course, I mean Charles Manson. ;) )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC