Bottle deposits

This area has been established to allow you, our visitors and contributors, to get to know one another a bit better, or to discuss subjects of general interest, without feeling obliged to restrict your postings to language-related topics. But we draw the line at floccinaucinihilivilification.

Bottle deposits

Post by Shelley » Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:25 pm

Occasionally, I do use the wizards to answer questions that are so far off the wordwizard map it's embarrassing. Please forgive.

This is a yes or no question for those living in the United States. Does anyone know: is it illegal for a store to charge a bottle deposit on a bottle that is NOT redeemable in the state in which the bottle is sold? For example, is it illegal for my local (New York) store to charge me a 5- or 10-cent deposit on a bottle which is only redeemable in Maine, California and Hawaii?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Bottle deposits

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:38 am

I'm afraid my 5 ¢ worth is only worth 2 ¢.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by Bobinwales » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:12 pm

It sounds like a great excuse for a trip to Hawaii to me. "I don't want to go, but this bottle has a 10¢ deposit."

(I'm glad you used "¢", I haven't got one on my keyboard, and I don't know the code)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by JANE DOErell » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:38 pm

Shelley wrote: This is a yes or no ... Does anyone know: ........ is it illegal....
Probably no one knows - unless there has been a court challenge and it has worked it's way through the courts no one, literally no one, knows.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:56 pm

My guess is that this is probably regulated at the level of the individual states -- if it is regulated at all.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by russcable » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:13 pm

Stores in New York can legally charge 5 cents because New York has a bottle deposit law http://www.dec.ny.gov/chemical/8500.html
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Shelley » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:39 pm

Thanks all for responding. Russcable, the link to the NY State Department of Environmental Conservation is very informative, however does not provide an answer for my particular question. The whole bottle deposit thing is “state-centric”, so the site only speaks to the issue of containers sold in NY for NY consumers, and yes, it is mandatory to add and return a deposit charge in NY for participating manufacturers. Here’s what started this:

I was witness the other day to an altercation between a customer and a store cashier. The customer was upset because the store was adding a bottle deposit to the price of a beverage in a store where everything is priced at 99 cents. Assuming she had only one dollar in her pocket (not an unusual condition for many of us), one could see why she might have been particularly distressed. She was pointing out that since the label stated the bottles were only redeemable in another state (not NY), the deposit would never be returned to her, and therefore the added “deposit” was illegal. It rang true to me, and apparently to the cashier who actually examined the label (probably for the first time).

In the end, your link did provide the answer, Russ, because there was a phone number listed for the New York State Public Interest Research Group. I called NYPIRG, and got some good information. Bottles which are not labeled redeemable in the state of purchase are not supposed to have a deposit on them. In other words, it is illegal to charge a deposit on a bottle that is not redeemable in the state of purchase. The wonderful lady at NYPIRG explained that in New York State the deposit charge is added only to those bottles that are redeemable in New York State. I thought ALL bottles sold in New York had a deposit on them, but that's not so: a bottle of Snapple (which is redeemable only in California and Maine) will not have a deposit on it in the State of New York. If a store cashier did charge a deposit on a bottle of Snapple in New York, they would be doing something illegal. She also mentioned that NYPIRG gets few complaints of this nature: more often, people are upset because stores won’t accept returns and refund the deposits on bottles that were sold at their location which the store is bound by law to do.

Well, folks, now you know. I learned some other interesting stuff on Russcable’s link: in a state with a bottle law, the bottler/distributor charges the dealer/store owner for the deposit. The dealer/store owner pays the deposit charge to the bottler/distributor and passes the charge on to the customer. The dealer is legally required to return the deposit to the customer in exchange for the empty (hopefully clean!) bottle. Any unredeemed deposit monies stay in the pocket of the bottler/distributor. That’s a considerable chuck of change.

Ok, class dismissed.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by p. g. cox » Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:34 am

Bob,
In MS Windows, ¢ is alt+0162 with Num Lock on; i.e key 0162 on the numeric keypad while holding down the alt key. $ is alt+036.
There is also a character map under:
Start/All programs/Accessories/System Tools/Character Map
Now class is dismissed.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Pete.

Post by Ken Greenwald » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:43 am

Peter, I have always been amazed at finding out basic PC things I should have known but didn't. Like many others I never took a course on this stuff, and as I result I have just picked up things in a haphazard kind of way over the years, leaving some gaping holes in my basic computer knowledge.

For example, one really useful things I didn't know until Phil White pointed it out to me several years ago was that if one is working in Word and wants to change something that is in bold, in too large a font, in italics, underlined, . . . ) to plain text, just do an edit copy and then an 'edit paste' after choosing 'plain text.' Before learning this, I used to retype this stuff by hand. This tip has saved me countless hours in my editing work since Phil put me on to it.

Another thing I picked up just a few weeks ago, which I am almost embarrassed to say, is that you can highlight any word by just double clicking on it. I didn't know that! I've been clicking and dragging from the day I first started using Word!

I won't further embarrass myself by telling you what else I didn't know, but I will point out where I recently found a few things out out. Go to Tech Tips for the Basic Computer User and you too may be shocked by a few things you didn't know.

Key strokes are another very useful thing and I do all my copying with "control C" and all my pasting with "control V."

Also, the way I introduce symbols into my text in Word without memorizing a whole bunch of keystrokes is to use 'insert symbol,' which gives you the character map and most usefully remembers and displays the last 16 symbols you have used so that you don't have to repeatedly go hunting through the map for the ones you use most often, which can be time consuming.

I can only guess at how many really useful things that I still haven't picked up on, and I imagine there might be many others in the same boat. So I think that it might not be a bad idea to have a repository on Wordwizard for such useful tidbits. So I think I will start a thread in the Addict's Corner under Tech Tips for the Computer User, where we can share such jewels with others.

Ken - October 26, 2008
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by p. g. cox » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:32 pm

Ken, I suppose that class is never really dismissed in this business as there always seems to be something new to be learned. With my not being a natural typist I tend to use the mouse more, whereas those who are more adept at touchtyping use keystrokes instead. It was quite a while before I found the magic of the right click to accomplish tasks.
I, for one, would welcome a repository of tips as there always seems to be a better way to do things and learn from the experience of others.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Pete.

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC