Finding markets

This area has been established to allow you, our visitors and contributors, to get to know one another a bit better, or to discuss subjects of general interest, without feeling obliged to restrict your postings to language-related topics. But we draw the line at floccinaucinihilivilification.

Finding markets

Post by dalehileman » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:58 pm

Since I quit my magazine-writing career decades ago (finding that it was a form or work, while retirement is supposed to be free of that kind of thing), I am unaware of the new ways in which writers find markets

Back then you first had to identify the market, such as a magazine, then study it for style, now write the article accordingly, and finally type and submit it with self-addressed return. Just a whole lot of turmoil

And not often successfully. Ayn Rand submitted her first book to 12 pubs before one finally accepted it. Imagine if she were to try that today

Now I'd think it's easier what with the Internet and all. However, word processing has so increased the load on publishers that they are probably reluctant or unable to invite unsolicited MS's; while sites such as Helium.com don't pay as well and deprive your article of its identity

Thus if you as a WW participant are active in this sort of thing perhaps you can advise a course of action. For instance I have written an article, beginning

Care and Maintenance of a Swimming Pool
Don’t have one

Dale Hileman
Apple Valley

What with the price of gas, instead of tooling off to the beach–where reports of shark attacks are becoming more frequent– or even to the municipal plunge, if you have the spread to accommodate it, you might contemplate installing a pool. Nonetheless I would advise you against it, pool technology and accessories being so primitive and service so expensive as to astound the potential owner. For instance a recent AP story describes how a 6-year-old girl was disemboweled by a swimming-pool drain,...

Thus any insights muchly appreciated, especially venues where submission can be made by email
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Finding markets

Post by Tony Farg » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:57 am

I have no insights to offer, but PLEASE tell us more about the disembowelment!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by JANE DOErell » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:41 pm

The disembowelment was a big story. About 125 ghits at news.google.

Here is an attempt to post a link to one: Tried and failed.

Here is another attempt. http://wcco.com/topstories/Minneapolis. ... 68697.html
"The suction had caused a two-inch tear in her rectum and had basically disemboweled her by pulling out her small intestines, almost all of it," ....
Last edited by JANE DOErell on Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by dalehileman » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:08 pm

Jane thank you for saving me the trouble. Another interesting aspect of modern technology, like the tranquilizer that causes suicide, is the solar cover made of a material which is dissolved by chlorine
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Tony Farg » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:33 am

Jane, thank you, but when I tried it I got a page from Forbes which said "something's gone awry, your page could not be found".
I tried searching with no results.
Any chance of another address?
Thanks
Tony
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Tony Farg » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:41 am

Ah! I carried on searching and found it after all. How awful. I'll never go in a pool again.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Bobinwales » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:30 am

Tony Farg wrote:I'll never go in a pool again.
Not even Llyn Ddraig Tony?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Tony Farg » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:38 pm

Well.O.K., but only because it hasn't got a Ddrain!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by JANE DOErell » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:42 pm

I edited out the Forbes link and posted another link to the disembowelment above. Google has cached the second link I posted so it should be valid much longer, I think.

According to forum protocol should I have posted the new information here or referred back to the edit above?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Bobinwales » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:13 pm

Oh good grief, if I had seen that before I wrote the flippant bit to Tony I would never have done so. Is there any news of the poor child a year on?

Llyn Ddraig (Dragon Lake) is a piece of water near to Tony's home that cannot be found on a map.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Bob in Wales

Post by russcable » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:04 pm

She died in March (about 9 months after the incident) due to some complications of transplant surgery.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Bobinwales » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:42 am

Sad indeed, and a warning worth remembering,
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Bob in Wales

Post by dalehileman » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:54 pm

I might add as further evidence that pool engineers are hardly rocket scientists: The typical 115-v underwater light system is designed specifically to electrocute the swimmer. Try Googling:

swimming pool underwater light electrocute

and you will get thirty thousand hits. After an unpleasant swimming experience (which I shall not detail because it makes me look suicidal), as a retired aerospace engineer (though not into rockets) I rebuilt ours using a 12-v sealed-beam headlight powered through a stepdown transformer which also provides isolation between power line and pool. Then for additional safety I replaced the switch with a GFI, but I wouldn’t know what to tell the typical pool owner who doesn’t know about stuff like that

However I'm still interested in hearing from anyone who actually participates in writing of any sort for the media market
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC