Truly Artificial Intelligence

This area has been established to allow you, our visitors and contributors, to get to know one another a bit better, or to discuss subjects of general interest, without feeling obliged to restrict your postings to language-related topics. But we draw the line at floccinaucinihilivilification.

Truly Artificial Intelligence

Post by dalehileman » Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:22 pm

It's my impression that AI isn't a topic daily on everyone's mind and so I am wondering

1) If that's because a) Almost everyone subconsciously feels threatened by it and therefore avoids discussion and participation, or b) I'm wrong and it's everywhere

2) Some AI programs act so genuinely human that contests are staged in which the participant communicating by keyboard has to judge whether he's chatting with a human or an AI program. Specifically I find the prospect fascinating so I looked into it and found a link to such, immediately ensconcing it amongst my Faves

http://directory.google.com/Top/Compute ... ots/ALICE/

Vastly amusing, what great fun. Having a chat with Oliver, he advised, "a pantheist is a form of drudgery. I suppose that makes sense."

When I advised him I was a child, he replied, "You are too old for me."

Speaking of intelligence, something Bill Gates' minions have been sorely denied, when I placed that link he set it at the bottom of my Faves list, as his algorithm correctly requires, but I would like it to be at the top. The usual way this is done, apparently, is to drag the link to the new position in which you desire it to find it

However, the way Bill has set it up, its climb is very slow; so if for instance you should have 450 entries in this list, dragging your most Fave from the bottom to the top would take 32 hours with your finger holding the mouse key depressed the whole time

So I highlighted the entry, noting that Bill had provided a "Cut" function. Great, I mused, I will cut it out then paste it it the top. Returning there, however, I noted that Bill had provided no "Paste"

So I guess I'll leave it at the bottom

God bless Bill Gates
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Truly Artificial Intelligence

Post by gdwdwrkr » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:11 pm

MITA is really unintelligent. Which did you recommend ?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by dalehileman » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:26 pm

gdwdwrkr wrote:MITA is really unintelligent. Which did you recommend ?
Sorry gd I'm not up on these things. I don't know who MITA is and can't specifically remember recommending anything
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by gdwdwrkr » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:41 pm

MITA is one of the chat-bots in your link.
Alice is better, but hardly fit for any contest.
Please link us directly to these contests.
Thanks.
450 favorites? You probably invite 450 of your most intimate friends to your parties?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by dalehileman » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:53 pm

MITA is one of the chat-bots in your link.

*****Aha now I understand. While composing my post I had inadvertently selected the MITA link, but then very shortly corrected it to ALICE. But you had read my post in the meantime and thus the confusion

Alice is better, but hardly fit for any contest.

********Still they're very interesting and amusing. But if you should happen to run onto another site more nearly representative of the very best, I'd certainly appreciate a link unless they're of a genre where in registering you're required to pay

***Sorry again gd but what contests would I link you directly to and where do I find them
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by gdwdwrkr » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:58 pm

dalehileman wrote:

***Sorry again gd but what contests would I link you directly to and where do I find them
These:

2) Some AI programs act so genuinely human that contests are staged in which the participant communicating by keyboard has to judge whether he's chatting with a human or an AI program. Specifically I find the prospect fascinating so I looked into it and found a link to such, immediately ensconcing it amongst my Faves
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by dalehileman » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:31 pm

gd sorry as I assumed ALICE might contian such a program but if I find one in the meantime I'll provide a link
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by gdwdwrkr » Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:18 pm

..had a nice chat anyway. She's quite engaging.

(Hmmmm...truly artificial....vs...falsely artificial......artificially artificial....hmmmm)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:59 am

I am undecided as to whether dalehileman or gdwdwrkr is the chatterbot in this thread. Maybe even both of them are...
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by gdwdwrkr » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:45 pm

Erik_Kowal wrote:I am undecided as to whether dalehileman or gdwdwrkr is the chatterbot in this thread. Maybe even both of them are...
Erik could go ask Alice. She'll be enthralled.

Human: Erik says dalehileman and I are chatterbots.
ALICE: Are all Erik says dalehileman and you chatterbots?
Human: What do you think?
ALICE: I think a lot of things.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by dalehileman » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:14 pm

Thanks to Erik for the expr. Now I know I'm a chatterbot as well as a troll
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by gdwdwrkr » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:24 am

ALICE: How well are you a troll?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC