a pope Bushism (or Bush’s popeism)

This area has been established to allow you, our visitors and contributors, to get to know one another a bit better, or to discuss subjects of general interest, without feeling obliged to restrict your postings to language-related topics. But we draw the line at floccinaucinihilivilification.

a pope Bushism (or Bush’s popeism)

Post by Ken Greenwald » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:58 am

I found the following in Newsweek’s trendy (that’s how you sell magazines, ain’t it?) The Dignity Index which advertises itself as “A Weekly mathematical survey of dubious behavior that measures, on a scale of 1 to 100, just how low a person can go?"
<2008 “HEY POPE, You Rule. Am I Right or Am I Right? After the pope’s remarks at the White House, President Bush tells him he gave an ‘awesome speech.’ Awesome? You’re talking to the pope, not Mylie Cyrus. Score: 12.”—Newsweek, 28 April, page 12>
Aside from the fact that I have no idea who Mylie Cyrus is – but I can guess that she ain’t no Julie Andrews – I’m not all that bent out of shape by this, although the pope may be, considering his traditionalist bent. This was not, though, exactly what I would call ‘the right word for the occasion.’ However, I have come to expect nothing less from our fearless leader. I forget, did Bush call Queen Elizabeth ‘toots’ when she visited?

Ken G – April 22, 2008
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: a pope Bushism (or Bush’s popeism)

Post by Erik_Kowal » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:13 am

If King George did not crown his crass par-for-the-course comments with that self-satisfied applause-seeking, head-bobbing little smirk we have all come to know so well, he was having a sub-par (or perhaps a sub-prime) day.

Miley Cyrus (born 1992) is an American actress, singer and songwriter who starred as Miley Stewart/Hannah Montana in the Disney Channel series Hannah Montana.

I forget now whether Bush called the Queen 'honey', 'Babs' or 'sweetie'. Had I been her I would have kept a half grapefruit ready for just such a face-massaging Public Enemy moment.

I can't think of a worthier object for such attention.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by PhilHunt » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:37 am

Personally I think the Queen is a gnocca and George is a gnocco. But I mean two different things. As for the pope, he's a vescovo and a papa, but he hasn't had any kids.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: That which we cannot speak of, must be passed over in silence...or else tweeted.

Post by kagriffy » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:16 pm

Speaking of Miley/Hannah, I just saw an article that she's going to write her memoirs! Wow! I always say, there's nothing like a really good book . . . and this will CERTAINLY be "nothing like a really good book"!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature:
K. Allen Griffy
Springfield, Illinois (USA)

Post by zmjezhd » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:37 pm

Queen ... George ... Pope

Not to be confused with il Papà del Gnoco.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by PhilHunt » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:27 pm

In the style of K. Allen. :)

Muddy Waters once said of Bob Dylan.
"He wants to play the harmonica so bad....and he does."
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: That which we cannot speak of, must be passed over in silence...or else tweeted.

Post by dalehileman » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:35 pm

"There's not going to be enough people in the system to take advantage of people like me"--GWB
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC