Theres Vaughn

This area has been established to allow you, our visitors and contributors, to get to know one another a bit better, or to discuss subjects of general interest, without feeling obliged to restrict your postings to language-related topics. But we draw the line at floccinaucinihilivilification.

Theres Vaughn

Post by Bobinwales » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:52 pm

I came across the name THERES VAUGHN whilst trawling for information on other things. It appears that on 19th December 1922 she confessed in court to having been married 62 times. She was then 24 years old.

Can anyone supply a link so that I can read about the woman? Or does anyone know the story?
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Theres Vaughn

Post by Erik_Kowal » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:35 pm

I don't know her story, but someone who was that persuasive could have been a fantastic life-insurance salesman. Actually, it seems like the obvious occupation for someone with such a well-established proclivity for rapid spousal turnover.

Meanwhile, Bob, you should perhaps consider in your search the possibility that her name might have been spelled slightly differently, e.g. Theresa or Therese instead of Theres, and Vaughan instead of Vaughn.
Post actions:
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Theres Vaughn

Post by Bobinwales » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:53 pm

There were a couple of dozen entries in "What happened today" sites, so I admit I didn't try any other spellings. Something to do on the long winter nights perhaps.
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Theres Vaughn

Post by gdwdwrkr » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:03 pm

Maybe it's There's Vaughn.
Locally, it is spelled Vaughn.
How about Sixty-Vaughn plus Vaughn?
Post actions:

Theres Vaughn

Post by Phil White » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:08 pm

Odd bits and pieces on the web about Theresa Vaughn (variously spelt "Theres/Theresa" and "Vaughn/Vaughan") of Sheffield England being married variously 61 or 62 times.

Ther nearest thing I could find to a reliable citation was on http://www.trivia-library.com/b/history ... o-1951.htm the story is quoted from The People's Almanac #2 by Davis Wallechinsky and Irving Wallace published in 1978.

1922 In a Sheffield, England, courtroom, accused bigamist Theresa Vaughn admitted under oath that in the past five years she had acquired 61 husbands in 50 cities throughout England, Germany, and South Africa, averaging a marriage a month.
Post actions:
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Theres Vaughn

Post by Wizard of Oz » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:39 pm

.. a job for life for the person who was her wedding consultant and caterer .. I wonder if she had her own personal wedding celebrant ?? .. you can never find one when you need one on short notice ..

WoZ 12/12/07
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Re: Theres Vaughn

Post by debartgirl2004 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:14 am

I was also interested if this story were true. I did a yahoo search entering Sheffield court records 1922. Scroll down to criminal trials in the assize courts and click on that. Do a search bigamy 1922. On the next page click on the blue box that says to search our records go to discovery. This will take you to the UK government records for criminal trials. Re enter bigamy 1922 and only 4 records come up for 1922 and Theresa Vaughan is not one of them. So I guess it is looking like another urban myth. Hope this helps
Post actions:

Re: Theres Vaughn

Post by vxqswyco » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:48 pm

I was also interested about the St Petersburg Paradox and it's relation to this topic.

Could someone provide some info about this? Thanks
Post actions:

End of topic.