A word for the Democratic Republican

This area has been established to allow you, our visitors and contributors, to get to know one another a bit better, or to discuss subjects of general interest, without feeling obliged to restrict your postings to language-related topics. But we draw the line at floccinaucinihilivilification.

Post by dalehileman » Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:17 pm

Speaking of Stephen Colbert or Arnold Schwarzenegger, there ought to be a third party. A partisan blue is supposed to be socially progressive and secular but fiscally lavish; a red socially conservative and pious but financially prudent. Yet I'm sure many of us are morally liberal and freethinking but at the same time monetarily sound

Join me in my quest to establish a Party Purple

Edited to add that a contributor in another site I'm not sure I'm supposed to mention, the term I'm looking for is "Libertarian" Does this ring a bell
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Tony Farg » Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:29 pm

The colour coding may be different over there from here, but the amalgam seems to work just as well. I'll go purple with you.
edit: add ...as long as monetarily sound does include a willingness to raise taxes.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by dalehileman » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:43 pm

Tony, I'm glad you found my thread as for some inexplicable reason it has been bouncing around from one Forum to another as if impelled by some evil force originating in the Microsoft Arena. Why it wound up in "Addicts" is a mystery

Incidentally, "Libertarian" is a dubious fit as the Opinion Editor of our local Fourth Estate calls himself a Libertarian, but he leans to the right in most all respects, including social issues
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by paulwiggins » Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:39 am

He's influences by the writings of JS Mill.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC