Bledisloe Cup

This area has been established to allow you, our visitors and contributors, to get to know one another a bit better, or to discuss subjects of general interest, without feeling obliged to restrict your postings to language-related topics. But we draw the line at floccinaucinihilivilification.

Bledisloe Cup

Post by Phil White » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:56 pm

I was going to explain what the Bledisloe cup is, but someone beat me to it...

Rugby Union's Bledisloe Cup is contested between Australia's Wallabies and New Zealand's All Blacks.
Nowadays this trophy is played out to decide which is the 7th and 8th best Rugby Union side in the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bledisloe_Cup

Schadenfreude ist die schönste Freude
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Bledisloe Cup

Post by paulwiggins » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:09 am

When beak out of my post quarter-finals drinking binge, I shall post a witty and eurudite reply.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Bledisloe Cup

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:27 am

I've never before heard of bender-ending referred to as getting one's beak out of one's binge, but it seems very appropriate.

I assume a eurudite reply is the opposite of one supplied by a tipply Dionysian.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Bledisloe Cup

Post by Shelley » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:43 pm

Phil, thank you for translating "the Search function is your best friend" into German for us.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC