pikas again

This area has been established to allow you, our visitors and contributors, to get to know one another a bit better, or to discuss subjects of general interest, without feeling obliged to restrict your postings to language-related topics. But we draw the line at floccinaucinihilivilification.

pikas again

Post by hypa_girl » Tue May 16, 2006 1:44 am

What are some of the pikas relatives

[[Moved from Language Discussion Forums - - Forum Admin.]]
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Sk8er_girl

pikas again

Post by Debz » Fri May 19, 2006 11:18 pm

Rabbits and hares
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

pikas again

Post by Cesar425 » Wed May 24, 2006 11:43 pm

Debz wrote: Rabbits and hares
"rabbits" is insanity.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

pikas again

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu May 25, 2006 3:33 am

I would say, 'rabbits are insanitary'.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

pikas again

Post by Ken Greenwald » Thu May 25, 2006 4:30 am

Erik, But only the rabbit test can tell for sure!

[[for younguns who don't know what the hell I'm talking about seethe rabbit is dead]]

Ken G - May 24, 2006
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

pikas again

Post by spiritus » Sun May 28, 2006 5:29 am

This thread gives me the impression that "analogy is spoken here".
Ken, I believe you have some familiarity with New York city. If it's not too much trouble and for the younguns' benefit, could you reproduce some knowledge on the word, 'coney' and "The Dead Rabbits"? It's the Irish and parent/teacher in me that prompts the request. Thank you.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Che Baraka

pikas again

Post by spiritus » Sun May 28, 2006 5:52 am

Cesar425 wrote:
"rabbits" is insanity.
"Cwazy wabbit!" --- Elmer Fudd, 1945
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

pikas again

Post by spiritus » Sun May 28, 2006 6:48 am

Erik,
I realize this is not a perfect world, but I'd like you to contribute to its possibility by designating this thread the official, "Forum for All Things Pika, Rabbit, Hare, and Bunny".

Ok, maybe that's asking too much. I'm sorry, but for me, this subject has brought on a wave of nostalgia. My first teaching assignment was a course in visual communications entitled, "Rabbit, Mouse, and Canary: Trickster As Metaphor in American Animation". I swear to God. A two credit elective.

My knowledge of Bugs Bunny, Brer Rabbit, Tweety Bird, and Mickey Mouse have contributed more to my professional successes then my formidable charm, talents, and intelligence ever could. "Beep, beep!"
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

pikas again

Post by kagriffy » Sun May 28, 2006 12:55 pm

Che, I have always related more to Wile E. Coyote for some reason: "Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Coyote, Wile E. Coyote, Genius."

Of course, when Bugs saw the "Wile E. Coyote, Genius" sign on his door, he knocked and said, "Are you in, Genius? In, Capable? In, Corrigible? . . ."
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature:
K. Allen Griffy
Springfield, Illinois (USA)

pikas again

Post by spiritus » Tue May 30, 2006 6:00 am

Actually, Wile E. Coyote was my earliest favorite. My appreciation for Bugs, Daffy, and Sylvester came later. Around 12 years of age and on, I began to understand and relish their layered surrealistic cultural references and Marx Brother's inspired circular word play. Whereas, Bugs was the archetypal trickster possessing talent unlimited, Wile E Coyote was the fanatic genius. It has been said, "Talent does what it can, and genius does what it must”. For Wile E. Coyote catching the Roadrunner was ontology, rather then a career objective.

"A fanatic is one who redoubles his effort when he has forgotten his aim.” - George Santayana

In addition to being a Super Genius, Wile E. is the father of celebrity endorsements, having put the 'ACME' in product placement.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

pikas again

Post by Ken Greenwald » Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:51 pm

Che, I actually have no knowledge of the origin of the CONEY in ‘Coney Island,’ although I knew and loved the place and spent a lot of hours there in my youth eating cotton candy and hot dogs, going for the brass ring, riding the bumper cars, swimming at the beach, getting sick on the Cyclone (roller coaster), enjoying the magic of Steeplechase, and having the bejewsus scared out of me on the parachute jump etc. Never heard of ‘The Dead Rabbits’ (which evidently showed up in the movie ‘Gangs of New York,’ which I didn’t see – I can’t handle violence or open heart surgery and avoid both like the plague).

As far as THE DEAD RABBITS goes, I couldn’t readily find a reliable source (but didn’t look too hard either), so I took the easy way out and found it on Wikipedia (http://www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Rabbits). But as always, be warned, don’t take anything you read on Wikipedia as gospel, it is written by yo-yos like you and me with facts often checked by no one – and who would want to trust us? And at this very moment anyone could go in there and contribute falsehoods and it would probably not be checked, caught, noticed for a long, long time.

I did, however, find a good source for the word CONEY, and found the story so interesting that I think its worthy of being posted separately in the Word Origins and Meanings forum, which I did.

Ken G – June 1, 2006
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

pikas again

Post by daverba » Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:16 am

The order Lagomorpha includes: 2 families (Leporidae and Ochotonidae), 13 genera, and 80 species.

-Kingdom: Animalia
--Phylum: Chordata
---Subphylum: Vertebrata
----Class: Mammalia
-----Order: Lagomorpha
------Family: Leporidae (hares and rabbits)
-------Genus Brachylagus (pygmy rabbits)
-------Genus Bunolagus (riverine rabbits)
-------Genus Caprolagus (hispid hares)
-------Genus Lepus (common hares and jackrabbits)
-------Genus Nesolagus (Sumatran rabbits)
-------Genus Oryctolagus (European rabbits)
-------Genus Pentalagus (Riu Kiu rabbits)
-------Genus Poelagus (African harsh-furred hares)
-------Genus Pronolagus (rockhares)
-------Genus Romerolagus (volcano rabbit and zacatuche)
-------Genus Sylvilagus (cottontail rabbits)
------Family: Ochotonidae (pikas)
-------Genus Ochotona (pikas)
-------Genus Prolagus (Mediterranean giant pikas)

(Did they feature the "vulcano rabbit" in Monty Python and the Holy Grail?)

Apparently, the word "pika" originated somewhere in Siberia. Other names for the animal include "coney" and "hydrax". The word "coney" also refers to what we now call "rabbits" (ie, most Leporidae). The word "rabbit" originally meant "young coney" (most Leporidae), but eventually replaced "coney" as a name for most Leporidae. Confused yet?

Apparently, Coney Island was inhabited by a lot of rabbits.

(And, if you want to check out a cute little thing that looks like it gets shot from a cannon, google "pichiciego" [aka Pink Fairy Armadillo].) No relation to pikas.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "Say any word, and I'll tell you how the root of that word is Greek." - Gus Portokalos, My Big Fat Greek Wedding

pikas again

Post by gdwdwrkr » Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:30 am

See movie, Rabbit-proof Fence. The only rabbit may be in the title, but the action is poignantly coyote/roadrunner-like.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

pikas again

Post by spiritus » Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:07 am

James, saw movie, Rabbit-proof Fence. Cinematography was visually powerful. Did not see coyote/roadrunner analogy.
Did see a metaphor for the idea that boundaries are not necessarily limits, but may also be guides for the boundless.

To my thinking, the cultural assumptions were simplistic and the characters' of the European antagonists were one dimensional. The script might have benefited from a more inclusive treatment of the complex historical and cultural dynamics of the Australian settlers and indigenous Aborigines. That said, I did appreciate the moral: In each of us there is a fence-proof rabbit.(;-)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC