Solar Eclipse

This area has been established to allow you, our visitors and contributors, to get to know one another a bit better, or to discuss subjects of general interest, without feeling obliged to restrict your postings to language-related topics. But we draw the line at floccinaucinihilivilification.

Solar Eclipse

Post by aelnamer » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:09 am

My brother has sent me this web site, http://www.libyaonline.com , that includes a link to tomorrow's, March 29th,coverage of the eclipse in Libya. He is actually there at this time as a tour guide. This eclipse is best viewed in Libya, and is supposedly going to last for about 7 minutes.

Ahmed
28th of march,2006
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Ahmed EL Namer
Dawson Creek,BC

Solar Eclipse

Post by kagriffy » Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:36 pm

I'm waiting for August 21, 2017, when a total solar eclipse will be directly over St. Louis (and, I'm hoping, Springfield, too). I already have it on my calendar! (OK, I admit it, I'm a geek when it comes to certain astronomical events. Every time there's a partial solar eclipse--or a lunar eclipse--I try to get a view. The best we've ever had in my part of the world is about a 20% solar eclipse, so I'm excited about the prospect of totality!) With my luck, it will be raining that day!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature:
K. Allen Griffy
Springfield, Illinois (USA)

Solar Eclipse

Post by aelnamer » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:55 am

Being that it will be in August, I hope you will have a sunny day with a clear sky. The last time I actually viewed one in person was in Malta during my school days in 1974. At that time they gave us film negative to view the eclipse with.
Ahmed
29th of March 2006
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Ahmed EL Namer
Dawson Creek,BC

Solar Eclipse

Post by Spearmint » Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:29 pm

I remember seeing a solar eclipse when I was a kid. It was really wierd. I remember all the little light spots on the ground that came through the leaves of the tree that I was standing under were in the shape of the "crescent" sun. No kidding. After that, I started looking at the light spots on the ground when the sun was straight overhead and noticed that the little light spots were in the shape of circles. I'm really not crazy. Stand under a tall, fully leaved out tree on a very bright day, when the sun is straight overhead, and see for yourself.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC