Weather in Australia

This area has been established to allow you, our visitors and contributors, to get to know one another a bit better, or to discuss subjects of general interest, without feeling obliged to restrict your postings to language-related topics. But we draw the line at floccinaucinihilivilification.

Weather in Australia

Post by Shelley » Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:14 pm

I just want to express my hope that you and yours weathered the storm safely, WoZ. I didn't see much coverage on it: just a headline saying a bad "cyclone" had hit the northeast of Australia, and a thousand people were homeless.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Weather in Australia

Post by Wizard of Oz » Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:23 pm

.. hey thanks for that Shelley .. *smile* .. Aussies tend to understate things .. for instance 85% of the Aus banana industry has been wiped out and incredible damage to the sugar cane, avocado, tropical fruit and general horticulture industries .. over a billion dollars in damage so far .. Larry had the same intensity as Katrina but fortunately it didn't hit in the dense population area as Katrina did .. only something like 20 000 people all up in the worst hit areas .. Innisfail took the brunt of it .. there have been no casualties due in main part to the evacuation procedures that were undertaken .. *smile* .. Aussies tend to be more compliant and cooperative in emergencies .. 95% of the rainforest has been stripped bare and the Great Barrier Reef has been severely damaged .. not sure exactly how many are homeless but it is in the several 1 000s .. like all natural disasters the reality hasn't settled yet that this is not going to get better in any quick time .. all the same complaints that were made in New Orleans have been made here but fortunately on a smaller scale .. the Army is in place but water, power, communication, roads are all in utter chaos .. of course all our politicians are making grand speeches .. *grin* .. then heading back to the comfort of home .. and again thanks for asking how things are .. oh and BTW the WoZ is fortunate in living a couple of thousand kilometres south of all the big blow ..

WoZ of Aus 23/03/06
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC