Pigeons

This area has been established to allow you, our visitors and contributors, to get to know one another a bit better, or to discuss subjects of general interest, without feeling obliged to restrict your postings to language-related topics. But we draw the line at floccinaucinihilivilification.

Re: Pigeons

Post by Ken Greenwald » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:09 am

aaa
Shelley, With such good luck, who needs bad luck? (<:)

Ken – March 22, 2012
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Bobinwales » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:10 am

The bird probably considers itself very lucky not to be carrying that extra weight around any more.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by tony h » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:29 pm

ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by Wizard of Oz » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:02 pm

.. tony I thought you were on a roll until you got to the wine list .. whilst the muscadine grape no doubt thrills the heart of every good ol' Southern boy might I suggest that a tenderly cooked wild pigeon needs a wine of greater finese and structure .. a Central Otago or Oregon Pinot Noir would do the trick .. if you want French then a St Emilion Bordeaux and if Italian reds excite you then try a Barbera from the Piedmont .. and yes there are great Aussie wines to match but I didn't want to appear partisan which would be out of character for me ..

WoZ removing his tongue from cheek
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:43 pm

I see you've also not risked any pigeon English.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:59 am

Which seems like a good moment to remind Shelley that she has yet to supply us with the culmination (or at least an update) of her homeric tale.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by Shelley » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:57 pm

Now, for the long-awaited update: I made some adjustments to the shelf unit, including adding wire "doors", and sealing up any places where the birds could gain access. A year later I can report there have been no unwanted flying subtenants squatting on my terrace, or trying to get into my apartment. That last episode was bad, really bad.

I think the flying, floating, kite-tail streamer method continues to keep the pigeons away. But I think it works only when there isn't some compelling, irresistible attraction for them, like, oh -- comfortable, protected housing, or crumbs, say . . . or maybe water collecting under the AC unit. Every now and then, they'll send one of their scouts around to check out my terrace. I tear out there, clapping my hands and waving my arms, and that action usually deters them for a while -- days, even weeks. Vigilance is required.

These days, there's a rather huge flock of them soaring around my corner -- the biggest I've ever seen on a corner that has had a resident flock of varying size for well over 20 years. A while back, I saw a flyer pasted on a building declaring that people had been observed "netting" pigeons on the corner and, since the practice was illegal, those law-breakers were in big trouble. Apparently, people feed them, cultivate a large flock and then capture them for -- what? Racing? Food? At the risk of offending someone, there are a lot of "chicken" and rice platter pushcarts in Manhattan . . . Back to my corner, though: now that nobody is culling the population (for whatever purpose), the flock is enormous.

That's all for now. Thank you for your patience. I'll be seeing you more frequently in 2013 -- it's a welcome resolution!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Wizard of Oz » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:04 pm

I tear out there, clapping my hands and waving my arms, and that action usually deters them for a while -- days, even weeks.
.. unfortunately the neighbours now talk about the weird lady in number 47 who tries to fly like a pigeon .......

WoZ who enjoys eating squab
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Shelley » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:46 pm

Let them talk, I say!
Once I was in charge of cultivating and maintaining a garden on an empty city lot between two buildings. It was used as an "environmental yard" for an elementary school, hopefully teaching the urban kids about soil, science, and growing things. Unfortunately, at least one person on an upper floor in one of the adjacent buildings with windows facing over the yard thought it was entertaining to throw their kitchen waste down into the yard -- sometimes while I was working there! Of course, the food waste brought rats and pigeons (the other rats), and I used up a lot of my time cleaning up the mess. From time to time, passers-by could observe me shaking my fists and screaming up at the sky, "Stop throwing cookies on my head! Why are you doing that?! Stop it!"
Only in New York, I tell ya' . . .
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC