Pigeons

This area has been established to allow you, our visitors and contributors, to get to know one another a bit better, or to discuss subjects of general interest, without feeling obliged to restrict your postings to language-related topics. But we draw the line at floccinaucinihilivilification.

Pigeons

Post by Erik_Kowal » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:24 pm

Yes, now and zen.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Pigeons

Post by Shelley » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:30 pm

Outright, prolonged laughter, Erik Kowal! I'm sure you've used that one before.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Pigeons

Post by Spearmint » Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:39 am

I hope you guys keep this pigeon thing going. Who needs tv?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Pigeons

Post by Erik_Kowal » Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:19 am

No, Shelley, I had never heard one hand clapping before you single-handedly (and one-handedly) applauded the clap-trap of municipal management. On the other hand, that's the kind of thing that happens when you mostly spend your life in a forest where trees keep falling with no-one on hand to hear them.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Pigeons

Post by Bobinwales » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:42 am

But if a man is alone in that forest with no woman to talk to him, would he still always be wrong?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Pigeons

Post by Shelley » Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:16 pm

Aaaw, ko an, you guys!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Pigeons

Post by Bobinwales » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:32 am

Nice to see you back Shelley. Did the pigeons go away when you did?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Pigeons

Post by Shelley » Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:56 pm

Bobinwales, thanks. And yes, amazing, but while I was away, I saw no pigeons at all on my balcony!
Seriously, though, after two months of NO PIGEONS!, I had two or three skulking about just yesterday when I got home from work. Some things are just too good to be true.
Their disappearance in February after spraying citrus-scented cleaner had me marveling, and also a bit suspicious. I felt that my spraying had perhaps coincided with other, invisible efforts by building management -- high frequency sound deterrents, for example. When I finished the bottle of citrus cleaner (about a month ago), I stopped the routine. Mistake. Now, sad to say -- they're baaaack! I'll shall resume citrus spraying immediately. Also, while caring for my neighbor's cats for a week, I managed to collect . . . well I guess I don't have to go into all THAT! However, I will say I've got a "secret" weapon on hand now, which I will not hesitate to deploy if heavy artillery is needed.
There are many remedies for this problem -- but none of them lasts for more than a few weeks. At least that's what I think.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Pigeons

Post by Edwin Ashworth » Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:38 pm

Phil's hawk recording is the PC (or CD) version of a solution Charles Addams came up with in one of his cartoons. Uncle Fester kept a falcon to deal with the neighbours' pet pigeons.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Pigeons

Post by tony h » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:02 am

Are you still pigeon-less?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Pigeons

Post by gdwdwrkr » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:48 am

Pigeon-free?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Pigeons

Post by Erik_Kowal » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:36 am

Pigeon-toed?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Pigeons

Post by gdwdwrkr » Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:08 pm

Anyone else here sick enough to see Shelley Winters on the balcony "releasing" the pigeons (as in What's the Matter With Helen? )?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Pigeons

Post by Shelley » Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:52 pm

Now is Shelley's last Winter of discontent
Made glorious summer by a pun in New York.

I will answer your question at the risk of bringing them all back: yes, I remain pigeon-free.
I hung up a "windsock" with lots of tails on it. It catches the slightest breeze, and the tails flail around like long hair. Much better than CD's on string. I think (shh!) they are fooled into thinking there is a person out there all the time.
Of course, I also have the Secret Weapon strategically placed. I've abandoned orange scented spray (sorry, Erik) because the other methods seem to work without my interference.
And, gdwdwrkr, if Helen has the problem I've had with pigeons, there's no need to wonder what's the matter with her.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Pigeons

Post by gdwdwrkr » Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:30 pm

outright prolonged sniggling.
We'll be quiet; there's not a stoolie among us.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS