Rover

This area has been established to allow you, our visitors and contributors, to get to know one another a bit better, or to discuss subjects of general interest, without feeling obliged to restrict your postings to language-related topics. But we draw the line at floccinaucinihilivilification.

Rover

Post by Phil White » Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:15 am

If the UK car manufacturer Rover is indeed taken over by one of the two Chinese groups currently bidding for it, it crosses my mind that they may have to re-brand to "Lover".
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Rover

Post by Erik_Kowal » Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:21 pm

But what if the US Republicans took over Rover Cars instead? They would have to keep the current name, maybe tweaking it to 'Rover Karls'.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Rover

Post by Phil White » Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:25 pm

"Lover - A crass of its own"
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Non sum felix lepus

Rover

Post by Erik_Kowal » Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:32 pm

Apart from the company being bankrupt, the current Rover image is rather stuffy. As well as changing the company name to 'Lover Cars', perhaps the Chinese could update it to appeal to younger drivers still living at home by putting a bench seat in the front of all models and mounting the gear lever on the steering column instead of between the seats.

They could also rebrand (or re-bland) its 4x4s for upwardly-mobile South Africans under the 'Rand Lover' marque.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Rover

Post by Phil White » Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:14 pm

the current Rover image is rather stuffy
Which probably means that it will come as no surprise to the regulars here to hear that I drive one. Various friends have already ceremonially presented me with slippers, a pipe and an anorak.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Non sum felix lepus

Rover

Post by Erik_Kowal » Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:24 pm

I have found that wearing slippers with heels is a sensible solution to the otherwise perpetual problem of one's footwear sliding off and getting tangled up with the pedals. On the other hand, I have yet to figure out a good way of having a dog lie across my feet while I am behind the wheel.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Rover

Post by Phil White » Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:14 pm

Down, Rover?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Non sum felix lepus

Rover

Post by Erik_Kowal » Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:05 pm

I like it!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Rover

Post by spiritus » Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:20 am

How do Americans and Europeans pronounce the word "Chinese", in Mandarin?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Che Baraka

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC