Floccinaucinihilipilification

This area has been established to allow you, our visitors and contributors, to get to know one another a bit better, or to discuss subjects of general interest, without feeling obliged to restrict your postings to language-related topics. But we draw the line at floccinaucinihilivilification.

Post by Bobinwales » Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:47 pm

Oh well, someone had to start it.

When you say floccinaucinihilivilification, do you actually mean floccinaucinihilipilification? Or is this a totally worthless thread?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Erik_Kowal » Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:47 pm

It was a deliberate twist on the original word. But it was certainly worth you asking.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by Shelley » Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:55 pm

This word is currently featured in a commercial here in the US (I think for insurance). It's cute: floccinaucicottontailandpeter (I approximate the spelling here, because I'm too lazy to copy and paste it) comes up as a word in a spelling bee, and in addition to the fact that the proctor/moderator can hardly pronounce it, he becomes really flummoxed when the little boy asks him to "use it in a sentence, please?" Why is this word in our faces? I consider it an assault.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:31 am

It seems scarcely worth spelling out that the ad is purely an assault on the sentences, Shelley. On the other hand, let's face it: the worst consequences of spellingbeebunnybusinessification are just the kind of thing that we expect insurance companies to be good at dispelling.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by Shelley » Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:21 pm

Ouch, Erik. Would I had wit to reply in like form . . .
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Debz » Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:00 am

love it
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC