A ferry

This area has been established to allow you, our visitors and contributors, to get to know one another a bit better, or to discuss subjects of general interest, without feeling obliged to restrict your postings to language-related topics. But we draw the line at floccinaucinihilivilification.

A ferry

Post by Stevenloan » Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:24 pm

Hi everyone! Have you ever taken a ferry where you drove your car on the ferry and then stayed in the car? I have ridden my motorbike on a ferry and stayed on the motorbike a couple of times. It's relatively scary to cross a large river on a ferry because my swimming skill is rather rusty.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: A ferry

Post by trolley » Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:55 pm

I live on Vancouver Island, so a ferry trip is a necessary part of travel, for us. As a kid, I loved to ride the ferry...now it's just a 90 minute pain in the arse.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:38 am

trolley : Thanks very much for your answer. May I ask why the ferry ride takes 90 minutes now?

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by trolley » Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:49 am

It always did take about 90 minutes (it's about 50km). When I was a kid it seemed like such an adventure and time didn't really seem to matter. Now I just want to get to where I am going.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:08 pm

trolley : Thanks a lot for your response. Enjoy your day.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by BonnieL » Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:53 pm

We take the ferry across Lake Roosevelt. It's an open barge so we do stay in the car if the weather's bad. But on a nice day it's fun to walk around. It only runs during daylight hours so at night we have to take the bridge - which takes us an extra 40 miles or so.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:56 am

BonnieL : Thanks very much for your input. Enjoy your day.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Phil White » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:19 pm

In the early 1970s, I crossed to the Isle of Skye in Scotland over the old ferry link, which was of the type you describe. By the time I next went to Skye in about 1995 or so, they had built the Skye Bridge, which is nowhere near as much fun.

I always feel that taking a ferry gives you a sense of adventure and travel that you never get with a plane or with the godawful Channel Tunnel.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Stevenloan » Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:25 pm

Phil White : I apologize for my late response. Thanks so much for your input. Enjoy your day.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by tony h » Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:25 pm

One of my favourites. We used to have many of these chain ferries but most have been replaced with bridges. I came across one in Africa that lies on dry ground until the rainy season.
https://youtu.be/Ag6UxSrLNWE
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by Stevenloan » Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:52 pm

tony h : Thanks a lot for the link. Have a good weekend.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:41 pm

Phil White wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:19 pm In the early 1970s, I crossed to the Isle of Skye in Scotland over the old ferry link, which was of the type you describe. By the time I next went to Skye in about 1995 or so, they had built the Skye Bridge, which is nowhere near as much fun.

I always feel that taking a ferry gives you a sense of adventure and travel that you never get with a plane or with the godawful Channel Tunnel.
I agree. I remember that Skye ferry too, which I took in about 1993 (only about 5 minutes each way). At that time they were still constructing the concrete span.

Part of the sense of adventure for me was that when travelling by ferry you often got to meet interesting new people along the way.

Another part was the time it took –– not on the Skye ferry, which you only stayed on for a few moments, but during longer ferry crossings.

When I was a kid our family would regularly visit our relatives in Denmark during the summer holidays. The ferry trip from Harwich to Esbjerg took about 18 hours. For me that voyage was a high point of the vacation, with an entire ship to explore, plus the unfamiliar smells, sounds and sights (including the smell of marine varnish on the wooden railings), the mesmerising spectacle of the roiling waves being churned up either by the wind or by the ship itself, and (not least) the freedom to get away from my control-freak parents for a while.

Now, alas, those ferries have gone, displaced by cheap air travel (until the Covid pandemic) and to some extent the Channel Tunnel, which made it possible to take your car to the European continent without a ferry.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Wizard of Oz » Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:14 pm

We used to have a vehicular ferry that crossed Newcastle harbour. This was a relatively short trip of about 15 minutes. Most people sat in their car and normally only the kids got out to have a look. It is interesting to note that in Newcastle we called this kind of marine vessel a punt. This distinguished it from the passenger ferry, called the ferry, that also crossed the harbour. One of the ways you used to be able to pick a non-Novocastrian was to hear him speak of the car ferry. Our punt disappeared when a bridge was built.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC